none
Powershell script to comprss files with specefic options RRS feed

• Question

• We have process that creates lots of text & xml files in a particular folder. The files are then copied to a FTP location and moved to 'Processed' folder. I am looking for a process to archive the processed folder.

Basically the script will accept following input parameters and compress them to a destination ZIP file. Finally, delete the source files once they are compressed.

Example:

$SourcePath = 'C:\Temp\Inputfiles'

$IncludeSubFolders = 'Yes\No'

$TargetCompressFilePath = 'C:\Temp\Target'

$FilesToCompress = '*.txt, *.xml'

$FilesOlderThan = 7

Thanks!

spp

Monday, September 8, 2014 11:42 PM

Answers

• Basically the script will accept following input parameters and compress them to a destination ZIP file. Finally, delete the source files once they are compressed.

What script?

If you need someone to write a script for you, you are asking in the wrong place. That said, you can search the repository or post a script request.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by sppdba Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:45 PM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 11:46 PM

All replies

• Basically the script will accept following input parameters and compress them to a destination ZIP file. Finally, delete the source files once they are compressed.

What script?

If you need someone to write a script for you, you are asking in the wrong place. That said, you can search the repository or post a script request.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by sppdba Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:45 PM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 11:46 PM
  • The easiest and fastest way to do this is to use a commandline compressor like 7Zip , PkZip or WinZip.  All of them do all of those things already.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:08 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I was trying to use WinZip and didn't find an easy way to compress files based on a date filter (e.g. compress files older than 7 days and delete).

spp

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I was trying to use WinZip and didn't find an easy way to compress files based on a date filter (e.g. compress files older than 7 days and delete).

spp

The very latest version of WinZip does this I believe.  You may have to get the commandline version.

With 7Zip you can get a list of files to "move" and pass them to 7Zip.

Post your questions in 7Zip forums and WinZip forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:52 PM