none
Restore Single Item when site or library renamed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I try to restore single document (Word) to its original location. The site and document library have been renamed some time ago. The restore fails with an error "Source URL is absent".

When I select the document, DPM lists the old path. In the DPM-logfile on the Farm Frontendserver I can see, that DPM tries to export the item with the old URL, which is not working anymore, because it has been renamed.

Is this an unsupported scenario? Or schould DPM update the URLs to the renamed ones? The task for creating sharepoint catalogs on the DPM is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andreas

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi.

Turned out that the sharepoint catalog job did not run correctly due to insufficient permissions.

Best regards

Andreas

• Marked as answer by MarxA Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:05 PM

All replies

• Andreas,

The answer is, "it depends."  See if this makes sense...

If you are restoring an item from a location that is no longer there, it will not restore.  In your specific situation it seems that the item was backed up, the location it was backed up from changed and now you are trying to restore it.  It will try to restore to where it originally came from.

With new items in the renamed location, they will backup and restore just fine.

To restore the items that their location has changed you will have to restore them to an alternte location or restore the item to a network folder.

Hope this helps!

Walt Whitman [MSFT System Center DPM Team] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Hi Walt.

Sorry, but I think  youmisunderstoud.

I already tried to restore to an alternate location which is definitly available, same error. Based on the eror message in the log it seems that DPM tries to export the item from the recovered database with the old URL which has been renamed ...

Any addional advice?

Thanks

Andreas

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:56 PM
  • MarxA,

Sorry for the confusion there.

I would recommend restoring the site it came from then to an alternate location and navigating down to the folders are that point and see if that helps.  If that doesn't work then you could always restore the Content_DB to an alternate flat file location and mount the restored content DB and get the item out that way; a lot of leg work, I know, but it would get your, "wagon out of the ditch," if you will.

Walt Whitman [MSFT System Center DPM Team] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Hi.

Turned out that the sharepoint catalog job did not run correctly due to insufficient permissions.

Best regards

Andreas

• Marked as answer by MarxA Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:05 PM