none
Unable to send email to internal or external recipients. Receiving external email OK. RRS feed

• Question

• Symptoms:

1.        Unable to send email to internal or external recipients.
    2.        Receiving external emails OK.
    3.        Outlook clients connect OK. Sent emails appear in Sent Items folder (but are not received by recipients).
    4.        Outlook Web Access clients connect OK. Sent emails appear in Drafts folder.
    5.        Able to send emails to internal recipients using TELNET SMTP connection to Exchange server.
    6.        Can change Full Access permissions on mailbox.
    7.        Unable to apply Send As Permissions to mailboxes, or create new Mailbox Database – error received is: Active Directory  operation failed on <Preferred DC server name>. This error is not retriable. Additional information: Access is denied Active directory response: 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03151E07, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0.

Background:

1.        Email functioning normally on Wednesday 18 May.
    2.        Windows updates applied and server restarted 3am Thursday morning.
    3.        During business hours staff observed that emails they were sending were not being received by recipient.

Troubleshooting Actions Taken:

1.        Review Windows Application and System logs on Exchange Server – no obvious problems
    2.        Search internet for solutions relating to symptoms
    3.        Uninstalled Windows updates – no fix, so reinstalled the updates.
    4.        Disabled ESET Mail Security antivirus service.
    5.        Restored System volume from backup taken at 8pm on previous day (Wed 18 May ) – no fix.
    6.        Restored System volume from backup taken on 16 Apr (prior to previous occasion server was restarted) – had to re-join server to the domain as computer account had expired (removed from domain then re-joined) – no fix.
    7.        Rolled back to current version of System volume (using copy of the original VHD) – had to re-join server to the domain (removed from domain then re-joined – “Joining to domain” dialog box seemed to have hung – waited 10 minutes then closed it. Restarted server and was able to login using domain credentials.
    8.        Restarted primary domain controller.
    9.        Restored Data volume (containing Exchange binaries and Databases) from backup taken 8pm on previous day (Wed 18 May) – mounted OK but symptoms persisted.
    10.    Rolled back to current version of Data volume (using copy of the original VHD)
    11. Uninstalled ESET Mail Security service

Research into Exchange transport pipeline leads me to believe it may be an issue with the Store Driver but there are no events logged for this in Windows App log.

Hope someone with better Exchange knowledge can assist.

TIA,
    Craig

Craig Franklin
    Intense Technology
    www.intense.com.au

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:09 AM

Answers

• The issue is now resolved with some assistance from Microsoft, as follows:

1. Restored the data volume (with Exchange binaries and mailbox database) from 17 April - the last backup prior to the penultimate server restart prior to the issue appearing. Confirmed able to send ""email.

2. Shutdown InfoStore and Transport services, renamed Mailbox Database folder, copied current version of mailbox database to the expected location, restarted the InfoStore and Transport services. Symptoms returned.

3. Retarted all Exchange services - symptoms persisted. Restarted server - symptoms persisted.

4. This was all done independently of Microsoft.

5. Eventually the Microsoft tech called and investigated it with our engineer. It appears a manual restart of the Exchange Mail Submission service (something we'd tried a number of times in early troubleshooting) and waiting 10 minutes did the trick. Here's our engineer's comment on the resolution:
    "The only thing different after we did the restore was restart the submission service, although there was a period of 5-10mins before email started flowing after the service restart. I asked the tech wouldn’t the service have restarted if we restarted the server – he said that sometimes it needs a manual restart (I was skeptical at this point but he could not provide any more answers)."

Craig Franklin
    Intense Technology
    www.intense.com.au

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, May 23, 2016 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by OzCraigF Monday, May 23, 2016 6:41 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2016 12:08 AM

All replies

• I recommend you open a ticket with Microsoft Support.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Ed, thanks for your response.

I logged a support request through Microsoft Partner Support 23 hours ago and are yet to receive a ticket number or call, despite being advised there would be a response within 4-8 hours. I chased this up with Partner support at the 8 hour mark but I get the impression they don't have direct contact with actual support team. Is there another Microsoft support option you'd recommend we pursue?

Update: I received a call from a Microsoft Tech 25 hrs after logging the request. A ticket has been raised - Microsoft Case#116052014189436.

Craig Franklin
    Intense Technology
    www.intense.com.au

• Edited by OzCraigF Saturday, May 21, 2016 8:32 AM update
    Friday, May 20, 2016 11:01 PM
  • I hope it turns out well.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:08 PM
  • The issue is now resolved with some assistance from Microsoft, as follows:

1. Restored the data volume (with Exchange binaries and mailbox database) from 17 April - the last backup prior to the penultimate server restart prior to the issue appearing. Confirmed able to send ""email.

2. Shutdown InfoStore and Transport services, renamed Mailbox Database folder, copied current version of mailbox database to the expected location, restarted the InfoStore and Transport services. Symptoms returned.

3. Retarted all Exchange services - symptoms persisted. Restarted server - symptoms persisted.

4. This was all done independently of Microsoft.

5. Eventually the Microsoft tech called and investigated it with our engineer. It appears a manual restart of the Exchange Mail Submission service (something we'd tried a number of times in early troubleshooting) and waiting 10 minutes did the trick. Here's our engineer's comment on the resolution:
    "The only thing different after we did the restore was restart the submission service, although there was a period of 5-10mins before email started flowing after the service restart. I asked the tech wouldn’t the service have restarted if we restarted the server – he said that sometimes it needs a manual restart (I was skeptical at this point but he could not provide any more answers)."

Craig Franklin
    Intense Technology
    www.intense.com.au

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, May 23, 2016 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by OzCraigF Monday, May 23, 2016 6:41 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2016 12:08 AM