Windows 8 flashes back to desktop RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to go from the desktop to the Start Menu on Windows 8, I click on the program I want and it will not open it. It reverts back to the desktop. Sometimes it just flashes from the Start Menu to the Desktop.  You cannot sign off nor turn the computer off. By using CNTL+ALT+DEL, I can sign off and eventually shutdown the computer.  Once it reboots, this will flashing back and forth will begin again within a few minutes of changing programs.  I have run a virus check and am virus free.  I have run a check for malware with nothing locate.  It is very irritating.

The computer is an HP TouchSmart All-in-One with Windows 8, 64 bit; 6GB Ram and 1TB HD. I have not installed nor uninstalled any software prior to this beginning. Everything was working fine earlier today.

Any suggestions/solutions as to what is suddenly causing this problem would be greatly appreciate.

Mildred L. Brown

Friday, May 31, 2013 3:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the clean boot.

1. Press Win+R to call Run box. Type msconfig and click OK to start the System Configuration utility.
    2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. 
    3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, June 7, 2013 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try the clean boot.

1. Press Win+R to call Run box. Type msconfig and click OK to start the System Configuration utility.
    2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. 
    3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, June 7, 2013 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Thanks.  I did this and will see what it does.

Mildred L. Brown

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:33 PM