none
moving the dpm clients from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

The current setup in my organisation is : We have a DPM 2007 server which protects, lets say, 2 clients, A and B. Since we have a space issue, we have been thinking to move it to a new setup DPM 2010 with a new storage.

The question is : Once i install DPM 2010 on a new server, how can i move the clients, A and B, to the new server?

i want to retain the old recovery points in 2007 .

Please provide steps which i need to follow to achieve this.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Pavti,

The easiest way is to re-configure the DPM Agents on clients to point to the new DPM 2010 server. This is made by using the setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername SERVERNAME from an evelavted command prompt. You'll find the executalbe in the bin catalouge on the client side dpm agent installation.

After you have re-configured the DPM agent on the client side you must attach the agent to the DPM server. This could be made in the console or powershell. Go to your console, management, agents, click on the install link on the right side and choose attach and follow the guide.

After the wizard is finished your agent will report OK in the console. Now you can go to protection and create a protection group.

All your old recoverypoints resides still on the old DPM 2007 server.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Pavti,

The easiest way is to re-configure the DPM Agents on clients to point to the new DPM 2010 server. This is made by using the setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername SERVERNAME from an evelavted command prompt. You'll find the executalbe in the bin catalouge on the client side dpm agent installation.

After you have re-configured the DPM agent on the client side you must attach the agent to the DPM server. This could be made in the console or powershell. Go to your console, management, agents, click on the install link on the right side and choose attach and follow the guide.

After the wizard is finished your agent will report OK in the console. Now you can go to protection and create a protection group.

All your old recoverypoints resides still on the old DPM 2007 server.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thank You Robert, I'll try this out and return with the results.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:54 AM
  • This worked perfectly fine, except you missed out on uninstalling DPMRA for DPM2007 from client and reinstalling it for DPM2010 (I am a rookie when it comes to DPM). Thanks for your help Robert.

Regards

Pavit Bhutani

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:00 PM