Clearing App-V 4.6 user settings from "orphaned" sequences RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. We have a configuration whereby we're using the App-V 4.6 SP2 client standalone and using a script to parse a file share and register the packages contained therein with users. The registration piece works just great; however, I'm also looking to unregister apps for users (removing user shortcuts and FTAs) if they've been removed from a security group or if the application has been retired.

I noticed some interesting behaviour with a few of the apps we're testing. The apps are "published" and cached globally on the server, but without shortcuts. However, for a few apps that I've been testing and have retired (deleted), my userid still has shortcuts registered for an applicaiton that long since has been removed from the sequence file share.

For applications that are still present on the file share, I can use the SFTMIME commands to go and unregister the app; however, for apps where the app folder was removed and deregistered from the server, my profile has an orphaned GUID for the sequence when I run SFTMIME /QUERY. I'm unable to remove the entry using the SFTMIME commands and this has me a little bit concerned; particularly for applications that get retired that have a FTA or other integration point. I'd like to cleanly unregister the application from the user's profile, so that we don't end up getting calls later for orphaned icons and FTAs that don't work and are difficult to remove.

Is there a way to deregister applications that were published from a network share after the source files for that App-V sequence are gone? If not, is there a way to unpublish it from a user-perspective if the sourcefiles (manifest.xml) are in a different folder location, such as a "_retired" folder?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, July 25, 2014 8:01 PM

All replies

• I assume if you run the .msi file with /x for the application in question it doesn't uninstall? 

Does the application appear in the App-V Client on your machine still? Is it showing as In Use?

If you can Unload, Clear and Delete the Application out of the cache and then delete the application GUID folder from the uservol. You should be all set.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, July 25, 2014 8:53 PM