What changes to SBS for new ISP co-ordinates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I subscribe to the internet via my building’s ISP it makes available to the numerous offices. The building is in the process of changing its ISP and therefore, it has issued me with a new static IP address, a new Gateway and new Netmask. All the addresses are of the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

As the building does not have a dedicated IT support technician, I have taken it upon myself to contact the new ISP to confirm whether they will be issuing new DNS Server addresses and they have confirmed that they will be changing and will be sending me the new co-ordinates. Just out of interest would the old ones still work? OldDNS1 = 212.87.64.10, OldDNS2 = 212.87.64.11, I don’t have the NewDNS records yet.

I would appreciate if you could let me know what changes I need to make to my infrastructure.

1.    I run a HP Proliant Server on my LAN with Microsoft SBS 2008. This actually combines the Windows Server 2008 r2 and Microsoft Exchange 2007. I have a domain name (just for email) that is administered through www.1and1.co.uk. What worries me is that the ISP person has told me that I do not need to make any changes to the Server. Is this correct?

2.    My network sits behind a SonicWall TZ100 Firewall. There, I am planning to change the Network Interface X1 settings. Here the zone is “WAN” and I will populate the new co-ordinates for NewIPAddress, NewGateway, NewSubNetMask and NewNDS1 and NewDNS2.

3.    My business does not have a web site, but we do have e-mail, therefore I am planning to change the MX01.mycomanyname.co.uk A-record to the NewIPAddress and MX00.mycomanyname.co.uk A-Record to NewIPAddress

I am planning on making the changes this Friday night so please could you let me know if the above looks right and confirm whether there are any changes I need to make on my HP server as I would instinctively have thought some changes either need to be made through the SBS console or using the Services Control Panel snap in (for instance IIS or DNS?)

Many thanks and kind regards,
    Bertie.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:56 AM

Answers

• sounds like you're reasonably well covered. Yes, the internet needs to be told your public IP has changed but because the server is behind the firewall device the server itself does not need modification.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Bertie,

Thanks for posting here

Like what Supergmby mentioned previously , you can update your edge device configuration to use the new internet address which obtained from your ISP , after that you can logon you internet domain management system which provided by www.1and1.co.uk to update the new address for records under that domain zone . You can also rerun the “Connect to the Internet Wizard” to ensure that if the modification works:

Introducing the Connect to the Internet Wizard (CTIW)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/17/introducing-the-connect-to-the-internet-wizard-ctiw.aspx

Meanwhile, as the new questions posted in your second reply that regarding with the exchange management on SBS host are different from the one that we discussed in your initial thread, could you please start a new thread so that other community member can join in?

Thanks for your understanding

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:41 AM

All replies

• sounds like you're reasonably well covered. Yes, the internet needs to be told your public IP has changed but because the server is behind the firewall device the server itself does not need modification.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:09 AM
  • OK, thanks SuperGumby. I am a little surprised that I do not need to touch my SBS 2008 settings but that does make life a little easier for non-technical business owners like myself that have to administer their own server. Can you recommend any good resources (books or online courses)? as I find it quite difficult to grapple with the Admin of SBS. As an example of other issues I have outstanding:

1. Somtimes, I have a feeling that e-mails may not reach me (as they may be too large, or someother reason). How do I learn how to find them within Exchange 2007. There is a Mail Flow tools but it looks completely unfriendly to use. Any simple tutorials?

2. As the e-mails reach the mailbox limit, do I need to think about purchasing a program that will automatically archive my mails or does Outlook 2010 or Exchange 2007 do this automatically for me?

3. I have purchased a tablet device and I would like to have access to my work mails through the device, It seems there is a whole load of work in configuring the SonicWall firewall device and then to possbily configure SBS or Exchange. I would be interested in where is a good place to start?

Many thanks and kind regards,
    Bertie.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Hi Bertie,

Thanks for posting here

Like what Supergmby mentioned previously , you can update your edge device configuration to use the new internet address which obtained from your ISP , after that you can logon you internet domain management system which provided by www.1and1.co.uk to update the new address for records under that domain zone . You can also rerun the “Connect to the Internet Wizard” to ensure that if the modification works:

Introducing the Connect to the Internet Wizard (CTIW)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/09/17/introducing-the-connect-to-the-internet-wizard-ctiw.aspx

Meanwhile, as the new questions posted in your second reply that regarding with the exchange management on SBS host are different from the one that we discussed in your initial thread, could you please start a new thread so that other community member can join in?

Thanks for your understanding

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:41 AM