none
What are the limitations when using Master Plans in MS Project Server 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my clients uses Master Plans to review, update and publish plans.  They can have up to 10-15 sub plans in these master plans.  They have complained that the performance is very slow, obvioulsy I understand that it is going to be slow with so many plans.

I am trying to set out some Master Plan guidelines to the client, so how many sub project plans should you not exceed in adding to a Master Plan.  How many lines should a Master Plan not exceed etc.

Also, are there any obvious limitations with Master Plans that you can do with simply accessing 1 project plan.

Essentially, the client needs to be able to open multiple plans at once.  I understand you can go through each plan and open it and use the Resource Usage view but the time taken to go into Project and open each plan can take a while.

Any pointers around whether there is another option other than Master Plans would be greatly appreciated along with the guideline limitations.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Project Server can handle a lot more than that. Overall sizing of the farm architecture, maintenance, network etc. will impact performance. Have they looked at capacity planning guidance & best practices on TechNet? Have they run traces to identify bottlenecks? etc...

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:00 AM
  • In addition to Christophes good questions I would also suggest that often the trouble with performance on master projects is the client itself rather than just the server. When project opens a project it brings the whole thing down into RAM on the client. If you open several large projects within a master and the client can start to suffer if their is not enough RAM on the machine. Factor that into your examination in addition to the possible server bottlenecks that might come up with what Christophe suggested.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thank you for the responses here, since the  users are accessing from a client site I think the network shout may be a good call.  I will carry out some tests and see what comes up.

Thanks again!

Friday, September 28, 2012 9:40 AM
  • From personal experience I know that working with multiple sub-projects - particularly over a slow network - can be slow and flaky, particularly when it comes to checking them in. Untangling stranded projects left checked out after a machine or the network takes a hit can be really time-consuming. 

I recommend that the default when inserting sub-projects is to set them as read only. You mention that your clients maintain the sub-projects - have them open the one (or two) that they want to maintain read/write before opening the master project (with all the sub-projects as read only). Modify the read/write version of the sub-project, check the effect in the master project, save and close the read/write sub-project, then close the master project choosing 'do not save all' for the read only sub-projects. This is where the time is really saved - closing the master project because all those sub-projects do not need to be checked in.

Graham

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:15 PM