Windows 7 Sysprep and capture using MDT 2012 Update 1 all updates already applied are re-downloaded and re-installed.


  • As I mentioned above, the image has been syspreped and when deployed using MDT it redownloads all updates and re-applies them.  I'm using a Windows AIO source if that makes a difference.  Basically I capture the different versions needed and imagex add them to the install.wim.  This gives me one folder with the OS installation files for both Win7 and server 2008 r2 with all versions.  Adding the vanilla versions of Windows7 and Windows server 2008 R2, plus my reference images, the install.wim file is around 6gb.

    Even though I run all updates on the images once I apply them to a device or the same VM I used to capture them it re-downloads all the updates and re-installs them.  I'm using WSUS 3 SP2.

    If I use Windows updates directly from Microsoft then it works as expected and it scans then goes on to the next task.  If using WSUS then it re-downloads and installs all updates.

    In an MMS 2013 session someone tweeted about the fact that Johan didn't mention it on the session and how there is a script to prevent that but I cant seem to find any information on it.

    Please help.

    Thank you,


    Friday, May 03, 2013 6:08 PM


  • The fix was simple.  I had updated the reference images first with WSUS but instead of deleting the older entries and importing the new ones I simply changed the "install.wim" file after I had merged them with imageX.  Basically I was deploying SP1 only since it couldnt find the same signature for the indexes I had registered before.  Then when I re-did them and imported them correctly I was not using WSUS thinking that had been the problem before.  So I was getting all the "Microsoft" updates since I had only done "Windows" updates.

    Since WSUS does both Windows and Microsoft updates it's more complete so when deploying the newly created images I was downloading quite a few updates for the different programs installed in the reference images.  Mainly .net and the versions of C++ runtime.

    Recreating the reference images using WSUS, merging them with an already AIO SP1 install.wim and importing all OSes back in fixed the issue.

    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:51 PM