none
Project Server 2010 - Error 20010 with a master project and 3 sub-projects during publication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is the situation :

• One master project with three sub projects.
    • Sub projects are really similar (Same ressources and nearly same tasks but only the first contain real work for now).
    • Sub projects got no sub projects nor links between projects.
    • The owner of the master project got read rights through projects permissions on sub projects.
    • Sub projects are link in "read only".
    • We applied Project Server 2010 SP2 last week end and the issue appeared monday.

Here are the symptoms :

• When we link only one sub project (Doesn't matter which one), the owner can publish, no problems.
    • With 2 sub projects, the error may occur.
    • With 3 sub projects, the error always occurs.
    • With admin rights, the error doesn't occur.

Here is the error :

• ID : 20010 (0x4E2A)
    • Description : You don't have required permissions to perform the action (Average traduction)
    • Detail : <detail><errinfo><general><class name="Project"><error id="20010" name="GeneralSecurityAccessDenied" uid="19515c1d-2624-466f-953a-b7fc67337b81"/></class></general></errinfo></detail>

I'm unable to determine which sub project is the culprit, if there is one, as it's working when I link only one of them.

Thanks for your time !

• Edited by Fylim Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:31 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:12 PM

Answers

• Fylim --

The PM needs to have Read/Write access to all three subprojects in order to set cross-project links and then to be able to save and publish the master project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Fylim Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:20 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:59 PM

All replies

• Fylim --

The PM needs to have Read/Write access to all three subprojects in order to set cross-project links and then to be able to save and publish the master project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Fylim Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:20 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:59 PM
  • It's working !

I have some interrogations though :

• For the security, it's strange that a PM need write access to read-only linked subprojects in order to publish  the master project.
    • With read only rights, PM are able to see subproject and link them in their master Project.
      What's the point when they aren't capable of publishing ?
    • Does something change in SP2 regarding this subject ?

Anyway, thank you for the help.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Fylim --

If the project manager in question does not need to edit any of the three projects, the PM does not need to have Read/Write access to any of the three projects.  Because you said that the PM needs to set links in all three projects, this means that the PM will be editing all three projects.  In order to edit the three projects, the PM must have Read/Write access to all three.  Setting cross-project links constitutes editing of the projects, which is why the PM must have Read/Write permission.  Make sense?

Regarding SP2, I am not aware that this would change anything, but I could be wrong.  The reality is that regardless of which SP you have applied to Microsoft Project and Project Server 2010, the PM in this situation MUST have Read/Write access to the projects that he/she needs to edit with cross-project links.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:29 PM
  • I think I wasn't clear about links between projects.

The master project has no links affecting subprojects, we just add subprojects in "read only" with the insert subproject fonction of MS Project 2010.

In the master project, the summary task "subproject 1" is a predecessor but it has no predecessor and there is no "end earlier than" constraints . In other words, there is no constraint on subprojects.

But this is not a big deal, now we can publish projects correctly.

Thanks again for your time.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Fylim --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Dale,

We have the same issue, only it does seem like something of a big deal that the PM who maintains the Master project has to have update capabilities to subprojects even though they are read-only, no links, etc.

We are careful not to allow PMs to publish projects that don't belong to them - we do that by giving them only read permissions to other PM's projects, though they have full control over their own.

It seems that you're saying the PM who maintains the Master must now be given rights to publish every project.  Is that correct?  Is there an alternative approach I'm just not seeing?

Thanks.. Keith

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:41 PM
  • Keith --

If the master project only contains Read-Only subprojects, then there is nothing to publish because the PM cannot make changes to any of the subprojects.  In essential, he/she has Read-Only permissions in the master project because of the permissions of all the subprojects.  If the PM in question needs to make changes to any of the subprojects, you must give him/her Read/Write permissions to every subprojects, otherwise you are back to the original problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Good Morning,

We are seeing the same issue and I went in to all of the projects and set permission so the owner of the master project had permission to all of the sub projects.  I'm going to go back and recheck to ensure I caught them all, but we had the same error when he tried to publish the master project.  Any thoughts while I go back and check my work.  Because originally I thought it was a permission issue, then I started to do some research, good to know I was at least on the right track:).

Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:41 PM