none
Displaying Start and Finish dates in 2 timezones RRS feed

• Question

• I am managing a project with a geographically dispersed team. I have a couple of questions regarding the use of timezones in MS Project. 

* What is the default timezone in MS Project? Is it the same as what is set on my laptop? 
    * For each task I want to track start and finish dates in both PST and IST. I am thinking of creating custom fields for the start and finish dates in IST. Need some help with how to specify this. 

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:08 AM

All replies

• The date/time displayed in Project is based upon the calendar.  If I create a project file while on the east coast of the US (EST) and create a task beginning at 10:00 am, it will show as 10:00 am to someone opening the file on the west coast of the US (PST), the time does not shift.

If your concern is geographically dispersed resources, my suggestion is to create calendars for the resource groups, offsetting the time based upon where the project manager is housed.  Then the PM can see start and finish dates and times relative to his or her time zone.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:59 PM
  • I have also used two physical clocks in each time zone's project Office. One is set to local time the other to projct time.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Bomasamudram --

If it were me, I would create one custom Finish field for each time zone.  Each Finish field would contain a formula to calculate the date/time in the time zone.  Obviously, you would need to set your Project Options settings to display both date and time.  Or you could also create a custom table that uses its own date format, which would be different from the date format set in the Project Options dialog.  Just a couple of thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:25 PM
  • I know the thread is old, but the problem remains to this day in MS Project 2016.

Our scenario:

Project management is being conducted from Europe, but involves teams in US and India.

My solution:

The MPP file is working in CET, so the standard start and finish fields show European time. I created calendars with offset hours for EST and IST and assigned these calendars to the resources that will be working from these timezones.

Then user Start1 and Finish1 to represent EST timezone - Applied a formula that does direct math from the start and finish fields - but we have two DST changes throughout the project, so this formula has IFs as such "if start<26/mar/2017 then [start-5] else if start >other date then [start-4] else [start-5] end" or something of the sort (don't have the mpp in hands now otherwise I could just paste the formula - but you get the idea...

I could have used start2 and finish2 for the IST timezone, but we only have a couple of resources there and they preferred to guide themselves by the EST timezone which is how they've been working since forever.

Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:13 PM