Migrate SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We want to migrate our portal from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016. 
    Please let me know is it possible to migrate directly from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016. We are going use new SharePoint 2016 server for migration.

Friday, August 12, 2016 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We are not upgrading. We want to do migration to new server SharePoint 2016, even for migration is it necessary to migrate from SharePoint 2010 > SharePoint 2013 > SharePoint 2016. Please confirm.

We read in some blogs that migration can be done directly from SharePoint 2010 >SharePoint 2016. Please confirm

Friday, August 12, 2016 1:52 PM
  • If you are using third party isv migration tools then you can directly migrate from sharepoint 2010 to 2016. When selecting tool check whether they provide the below
    1.pre run check
    2. Powershell support for automating
    3. Detailed report on migrated objects

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:07 PM
  •  Hi,

You can use third party tools like Sharegate and Metalogix.

The fascinating thing with Sharegate is they give a free Migration upto 25GB of data.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Navin Jampala

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:22 PM
  • If you want to use out of the box tools you will want to look into Database migration. Unfortunately you will have to go from 2010 to 2013 to 2016. The good news is that you can do it all at the same time if you have the hardware available.

To help I have a step-by-step guide for installing SharePoint 2016 available on YouTube. I will also have the same for 2013 by the end of the day. And because this question gets asked so often I will put on my to-do list making a video to cover this topic. But that will probably be a couple of weeks out.

Remember, you can also look at 3rd party tools like another person mentioned. They are great for moving and rearranging the data as you go.

Shane Young

SharePoint Consulting

Free SharePoint Training

Friday, August 19, 2016 2:11 PM