isolated wsus problem RRS feed

• Question

• The problem with my isolated wsus serve is that once the updates are on the server, it will not fully download the updates.  Therefore I cannot apply the updates.  The below steps are what I have done to this point. 

1) On the connected server, I approved and verified all updates were downloaded.

2) Performed the wsusutil export procedure.

3) I copied the subfolders of the WSUSContent folder on the connected server to external drive.

4) The isolated server was completely rebuilt.  There is a separate drive for the WSUS DB and WSUSContent.

5) Loaded the WSUS server software and its pre-reqs.  Did not run the WSUS Configuration Wizard.  Matched settings on the isolated server with the connected server.  Verified the WSUSAdministrator group was inherited from the WSUSContent folder.   

6) Copied the the subfolders from the connected server into the WSUSContent directory.  

7) Performed the wsusutil import procedure.  

8) Approved all updates I needed.  

After doing all this on the isolated server, the updates still will not download completely.  My isolated server only downloads about 25MB of the 61GB I copied to the server.  I will be checking the Application logs to see why there is a download issue, but I was wondering is there something else I am missing? 

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:22 AM

Answers

• After doing all this on the isolated server, the updates still will not download completely.  My isolated server only downloads about 25MB of the 61GB I copied to the server.

The disconnected server should not be trying to download anything, nor can it -- it's disconnected! Ostensibly you provided all of the files needed when you copied the ~\WSUSContent subfolders - unless the connected server was still downloading files, in which case you didn't.

=65GB= is a *LOT* of files to download. How many updates did you approve on the connected server? How many did you approve on the disconnected server?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:28 PM
  • In the overview area from the main console there is a download status section. When I approve updates on the disconnected server, the updates download for some reason and it shows in the download status section. Until the downloading is finished my updates aren't available.

Okay.. the importance of separating observations from facts. Yes, the "Download Status" will show activity immediately after the import... for up to 3-4 hours, in fact, as documented in a note in the Deployment Guide. This is part of the import process that reconciles all of the approved updates with the files actually in the filesystem and confirms that all of the files that should be there actually are. This, however, is completely different from teh server actually QUEUING files for download -- which would be reflected in the BITS download queue, or by a cessation of activity in the console "Download Status" display indicating that the WSUS server actually is waiting for a download to complete (which, of course, never will on a disconnected server).

I assumed there are actual files queued for download because of this statement:

My isolated server only downloads about 25MB of the 61GB I copied to the server.

which suggests that the server has actually queued something for download, and the WSUS server is in a holding pattern waiting for BITS to tell it the download has completed -- which ain't never gonna happen.

This behavior fundamentally suggests that something is missing from the connected server that should be there.

If ALL of the needed files are on the connected server, and properly transferred to the disconnected server, the "Download Status" on the disconnected server (after a few hours) will report ZERO files needed.

As for the 65gb that is what the size was when the connected server finished its initial download. I am working on reducing this.

Cool. My point was that based on 65GB of downloads, you've probably approved about ten times as many updates as you actually need to.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:10 PM

All replies

• After doing all this on the isolated server, the updates still will not download completely.  My isolated server only downloads about 25MB of the 61GB I copied to the server.

The disconnected server should not be trying to download anything, nor can it -- it's disconnected! Ostensibly you provided all of the files needed when you copied the ~\WSUSContent subfolders - unless the connected server was still downloading files, in which case you didn't.

=65GB= is a *LOT* of files to download. How many updates did you approve on the connected server? How many did you approve on the disconnected server?

SolarWinds Head Geek

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:28 PM
  • Hey Lawrence, In the overview area from the main console there is a download status section. When I approve updates on the disconnected server, the updates download for some reason and it shows in the download status section. Until the downloading is finished my updates aren't available. Not sure why it needs to do this on a standalone server but appears to be necessary. I would agree that just copying the wuss content folder and doing the db import should be all I need to do. As for the 65gb that is what the size was when the connected server finished its initial download. I am working on reducing this. I approved the same updates on both servers.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:54 AM
  • In the overview area from the main console there is a download status section. When I approve updates on the disconnected server, the updates download for some reason and it shows in the download status section. Until the downloading is finished my updates aren't available.

Okay.. the importance of separating observations from facts. Yes, the "Download Status" will show activity immediately after the import... for up to 3-4 hours, in fact, as documented in a note in the Deployment Guide. This is part of the import process that reconciles all of the approved updates with the files actually in the filesystem and confirms that all of the files that should be there actually are. This, however, is completely different from teh server actually QUEUING files for download -- which would be reflected in the BITS download queue, or by a cessation of activity in the console "Download Status" display indicating that the WSUS server actually is waiting for a download to complete (which, of course, never will on a disconnected server).

I assumed there are actual files queued for download because of this statement:

My isolated server only downloads about 25MB of the 61GB I copied to the server.

which suggests that the server has actually queued something for download, and the WSUS server is in a holding pattern waiting for BITS to tell it the download has completed -- which ain't never gonna happen.

This behavior fundamentally suggests that something is missing from the connected server that should be there.

If ALL of the needed files are on the connected server, and properly transferred to the disconnected server, the "Download Status" on the disconnected server (after a few hours) will report ZERO files needed.

As for the 65gb that is what the size was when the connected server finished its initial download. I am working on reducing this.

Cool. My point was that based on 65GB of downloads, you've probably approved about ten times as many updates as you actually need to.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:10 PM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Any questions please feel free to let us know.

Monday, April 21, 2014 3:39 AM