Slow network speeds. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have had very slow network speeds reading and writing on my lan my  network config is as follows 

My pc -->

OS - Windows 7 professional 64bit

Anit virus = Nod32 Home edition

Realtek RTL8168d/811d NIC Gigabit

Decent mobo quad core processor, 7.5K SATA 2 HDDS

My fileserver

2xcore 2.8gh, 4gb DDR3 1333mhz

OS = ESXi/Freenas 8 guest

NIC = unsure of model but is gigabit and is supported by ESXi (i checked at the time I installed)

My computers network settings

IPv6 Disabled

TCP Global Parameters
    ----------------------------------------------
    Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
    Chimney Offload State               : automatic
    NetDMA State                        : enabled
    Direct Cache Acess (DCA)            : disabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : disabled
    Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : none
    ECN Capability                      : disabled
    RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled

Duplex is set to 1000mb full

ESXi host network settings

Duplex = 1000mb full

IPV6 Disabled

not really sure how to get more detail here

Free nas is set on virutal adapter duplex is 10G full (virtualised wish this was tru) IPV6 is disabled

My modem is a orcon VOIP modem 100mb Lan ports - no vlans

I have been having this issue since like for ever but have only now got fed up with it,

I used to have my same computer hooked up to a 5port gigabit switch and a server 2008 file server still same horrible speeds so I dont think the Configuration of the ESXi host is the issue or the config of the Free nas guest,

I have a laptop hooked up with a 802.11n wireless adapter that gets better speed than my pc hooked up via ethernet.

the ethernet cable is cat5e and is roughly 30m long (i made this cable my self and have tested it pretty sure it is not the problem). Should probably mention I have a 802.11N wireless card in my desktop too that I normally use I have cabled it in to trouble shoot, the wireless NIC is fixed on 11n and I get the same speed I do via cable (yes I did disable the wireless adapter)

I have tried a lot of tweeks that I will list below, I started off with a write speed of between 4-6.5mb fluctuating and after the tweeks I have made writing sits steady on 11mb 

I am hoping to get at least 40>MB write speed as every other network I have installed with a standard modem 100mb LAN Ports writes at at least 60MB

I have had a variety of different network hardware over the past two years and the only thing that is still the same is my PC (I have upgraded my wireless adapter in my pc recently to 11n as I thought that was the problem)

I have ...

Disabled ipv6 on all my devices,

Disabled my firewall and antivirus on my pc (Fileserver does not have one)

disabled auto tuning (read somewhere it helped) ...  turning off v6 and autotuning is what brought my speeds up to 11m

removed any tunnel adapters and flushed arp

Swapped duplex on my devices all to at lease 1g full

There is problably alot more I have tried but that is what I tried in a last ditch attempt before comming here

This really is driving me up the wall so hopefully someone can help me nut this one out, I am a network engineer so don't be afraid to talk tech

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:40 AM

Answers

• Did you mean to say "I am hoping to get at least 40>MB write speed as every other network I have installed with a standard modem 100mb LAN Ports writes at at least 60MB"? 

It isn't really possible for a 100 Megabit connection to transfer data at 60 Megabytes a second.  Although the 11 Megabytes a second transfer rate is right for a 100 Megabit connection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Edited by Ty Glander Friday, February 15, 2013 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, February 22, 2013 5:09 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Did you mean to say "I am hoping to get at least 40>MB write speed as every other network I have installed with a standard modem 100mb LAN Ports writes at at least 60MB"? 

It isn't really possible for a 100 Megabit connection to transfer data at 60 Megabytes a second.  Although the 11 Megabytes a second transfer rate is right for a 100 Megabit connection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Edited by Ty Glander Friday, February 15, 2013 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, February 22, 2013 5:09 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 5:02 PM
  • thank you
    Monday, September 30, 2013 10:37 AM