none
The protection agent operation failed because the service did not respond (ID 316 Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We're running DPM 2010 on a windows 2008 r2 standard server. Two of our protected servers are running windows 2008

r2 standard with Exchange 2010 and ForeFront Protection for Exchange Server 2010.

We already had a similiar problem some time ago, which we solved by installing the rollups mentioned in this

thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/1fd93fd4-2a29-4cc0-984b-fcae6dce509f

Now the dpm agent on the exchange servers begins to loose the connection again. But this time there is another

error information in the dpm console:

The DPM protection agent on exc-i1exch-012.bzi.exch could not be contacted. Subsequent protection activities for

this computer may fail if the connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following reason:

(ID 3122)
    The protection agent operation on exc-i1exch-012.bzi.exch failed because the service did not respond. (ID 316

Details: Internal error code: 0x8099090E)

Restarting the dpmra-Service doesn't help. Rebooting the protected server solves the problem for a while. Both the

system and the application log of the protected Server aren't showing any entries of the DPMRA-Source.

One of the two exchange-Servers is in a trusted domain.The agent password is not expired and we set the option

"Passowrd never expires" in the local user management. The other exchange-server is in the same domain as the dpm-

server and I mean it shows the same manner from time to time.

The windows firewall is turned off on all servers.

I can still connect by rdp to the servers.

I can nslookup and ping the dpm-server from the exchange server and vice versa.

thanks for your help.

kind regards from switzerland
    Andreas Beyeler

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:36 PM

All replies

• Can you please verify if the DPMRA service on the DPM Agent is running properly. Also can you please look at the event viewer to see if there are any events related to this service and let us know.
    -- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Hello

You're right. In the system log (source service control manager) there a lot of the following entries:

The DPMRA service entered the stopped state.

The DPMRA service entered the running state.

The DPMRA service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 76 time(s).

The first two events I see on properly running systems too. So I think they're normal.

The last one has the following detail-infos:

System

- Provider

[ Name]  Service Control Manager
       [ Guid]  {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}
       [ EventSourceName]  Service Control Manager

- EventID 7034

[ Qualifiers]  49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2011-03-03T09:43:42.340078500Z

EventRecordID 281696

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  560
       [ ThreadID]  9116

Channel System

Computer EXC-I1EXCH-012.bzi.exch

Security

- EventData

param1 DPMRA
      param2 76

So its the same error as I thought I already did resolve in

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/1fd93fd4-2a29-4cc0-984b-fcae6dce509f

So this means, that the two rollups only helped us for a little time. Now we're having the same problem again.

The DPMRA-services ist started in the service control manager. It can be succesfully restartet but this doesn't changes anything.

kind regards

Andreas Beyeler

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Has there been any update on this, as I'm also suffering from the same problem with one of my Exchange 2010 servers.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:09 PM
  • No unfortunately nothing new. We rebooted the server some days ago and it worked till yesterday. Today we have the error again.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Some good news:

We opened a case with microsoft. They got us to track a lot of logs with poolsnap and the performance monitor.

The result: We had to increase the memory. We increased the memory with 2 GB additonal memory on our echange-servers. Since more than one week it's working without problems.

Echange seems to need a lot of memory. On our production server there are now used 6,5 of 8 GB Ram and 1,7 GB Cached. And we have only around 200 Mailboxes.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Some good news:

We opened a case with microsoft. They got us to track a lot of logs with poolsnap and the performance monitor.

The result: We had to increase the memory. We increased the memory with 2 GB additonal memory on our echange-servers. Since more than one week it's working without problems.

Echange seems to need a lot of memory. On our production server there are now used 6,5 of 8 GB Ram and 1,7 GB Cached. And we have only around 200 Mailboxes.

Was the increase in memory the final solution to your issue?
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:18 AM