• Question

• when I click on

control panel / system & security / backup & restore / setup backup

an explorer window opens in windows/system32

I don't get the dialog indicated in the help for Windows 7

I have checked that the windows backup service is running

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:53 PM

Answers

• This method can help users to repair system components. In this case the link or the control panel program may be corrupt. Therefore In-place Ugprade will help you to repair them. Your personal data and installed programs will not be changed after In-place Upgrade.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:00 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Hi hellster,

Is the user you are logged in with a member of the Administrators group?

Do you have a back-up drive connected to the computer or a network drive for Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise?

Click Start=>All Programs=>select Maintainence=>right-click Backup and Restore=>select Run as Administrator. Does it launch properly?

Friday, October 1, 2010 9:26 AM

All replies

• Run sfc/scannow to try to repair the components. If it does not work, please run In-place Upgrade to repair the system.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi Arthur

well I tried both those suggestions, and nothing has changed - i.e. setup backup still opens an explorer window rather than the setup dialog. 

Out of curiosity was this suggestion based on a solution to the specific issue, or a generic solution to any windows 7 problem? If so and at the risk of seeming ungrateful I wish you would have said because it took a VERY long time to do the in-place upgrade - that's a day of my life I'll never get back!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:53 PM
  • This method can help users to repair system components. In this case the link or the control panel program may be corrupt. Therefore In-place Ugprade will help you to repair them. Your personal data and installed programs will not be changed after In-place Upgrade.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Hi hellster,

Is the user you are logged in with a member of the Administrators group?

Do you have a back-up drive connected to the computer or a network drive for Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise?

Click Start=>All Programs=>select Maintainence=>right-click Backup and Restore=>select Run as Administrator. Does it launch properly?

Friday, October 1, 2010 9:26 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue with home prem on a netbook, when you goto control panel/backup and restore/ "setup backup" it opens explorer windows/system32 and does nothing. The netbook is on a network with everything avalible, the answers given are useless as this is just your basic cut and paste. If your not going to help, quit loading your profile with bs at others expense. WHAT IS NEEDED HERE IS what are the command line options to the new backup, if there are any, or the resistry entry to point to the backup utility, I haven't found anything yet on the site.

A work around is to make a drive image to a usb drive, this will allow you to get a snapshot of the system. Do that under the same place, "backup and restore"up to the left you'll see "create a drive image" run through that will give you a point of recovery, BUT it will not give you the backup that you can regularly add to.

I'll keep looking

Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Now I changed the service to interactive with the desktop and I acctually get an event entry about it,

The Windows Backup service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

Now I think this is something that the mfg has done in their setup, I have been persuing this with ACER, but all i get from them is ask their pay site people which I'm not going to do as I know more than their whole call center put together....this may not be anything that is wrong with backup or win 7 just the way the mfg are setting this up, or some of their third party ____ that they "include" and everyone gets rid of....a copy of the reg entries for backup default would be really nice....if anyone has them....

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Now I think this is something that the mfg has done in their setup,

Hi rob3551,

I just looked at the AO721 and it appears that Acer has put the e-Recovery utility on top of the backup utilities. The sparse information in the user guide and one screen shot show system and backup options.  Very Sony-like. Yes, it's an OEM modified operating system, and you don't know what has been modified, so, uninstalling the e-Recovery application can cause other problems. Like leaving Windows backup utility disabled. Very proprietary.

It appears that you must use that utility.

Again, as you may already know, you cannot backup to network locations on Window 7 versions less than Professional. External HDD is really the only option.

I was going to suggest that you look in gpedit User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Backup>Client and verify if any services are disabled there, but you can't do that in Home Premium.

It's an Acer.

• Proposed as answer by rob3551 Friday, October 15, 2010 8:55 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:04 PM
  • lol.....thanks, I didn't really look there as I couldn't see much info....my fault. But yes it's their propritary stuff as usual. I guess I was researching more for others than myself.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:54 PM
  • so after a review of the documentation, Acer has made the config so that there is no backup or recovery of your information, their eRecovery options built overtop of the backup and restore will only give you options to recover the defaults not any of your data, so as I said before the drive imaging process to an external drive will be your only option....HP's etc. from what I've seen are the same.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 9:11 PM