none
Offline\<ComputerName> RRS feed

• Question

• We've recently installed DPM 2012 R2. For some reason, we can no longer take online backups of virtual machines in our Hyper-V cluster. When we try to create a new group, we only see Offline\<ComputerName>.

I originally thought it was an issue with the virtual machine being a Dynamic disk. However, I've since converted the disk to fixed and reinstalled the DPM agent. I still only see the Offline option.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by hhancock Monday, March 24, 2014 3:01 PM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:59 PM

Answers

• So, the issue was a combination of the latest integration services and attaching the SCSI controller.

With that said, we are having major issues taking online backups with our SAN. Anytime we try to run an online backup, CPU goes through the roof on the SAN and Hyper-V boxes and everything times out. According to Dell and Microsoft, this is a known issue and others have experienced it.

• Marked as answer by hhancock Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:19 PM

All replies

• This might be resolved by upgrading Integration Services. We will try this tonight and report back.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

See following announcement: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=dpmhypervbackup&announcementId=6efb74c8-320d-4d6a-a18a-2d233dbe6368

If you cannot resolve this, I will move it to the Windows Hyper-V forum.  Let me know what happens.

FYI - Hyper-V does not have problems with Dynamically expanding .VHD(x) files. Windows Dynamic (Versus basic) disks inside the guest that will cause VM's to go into a saved (offline) state during backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 24, 2014 5:58 PM
  • All of our virtual machines are using Dynamically expanding disks.

Once I upgraded Integration Services on a box in our cluster, DPM showed Online\<ComputerName> as it should. We haven't taken a backup yet so I am not sure if it will work.

I don't see a SCSI controller attached to any of our virtual machines. Also, I don't see that as a requirement for taking online backups.

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

The Scsi controller inside the guest is a new requirement for Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V in order to get online backups.  I confirmed that if I remove the scsi controller inside the guest, the caption changes to offline.  When I add it back, it changes to online again.  Note: script.txt contains:  List writers

C:\>diskshadow /s script.txt |find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Offline\AODC1

C:\>diskshadow /s script.txt |find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Online\AODC1

Can you confirm the same on the Hyper-V host running the VM ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:01 PM
  • So, the issue was a combination of the latest integration services and attaching the SCSI controller.

With that said, we are having major issues taking online backups with our SAN. Anytime we try to run an online backup, CPU goes through the roof on the SAN and Hyper-V boxes and everything times out. According to Dell and Microsoft, this is a known issue and others have experienced it.

• Marked as answer by hhancock Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:19 PM