Windows Task Manager: Physical Memory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a difficulty to clearly understand and find presized info about Physical Memory parametres in 2008r2 Task Manager.

Currently I have the numbers below dispayed in Windows Task Manager--Performance:

Physical Memory (MB)
    Total: 3799
    Cached: 1395
    Available: 1393
    Free: 17

How correctly to interpret those numbers? And what exactly is Cached Available and Free (confusing for me, sorry).

Then, if I click Resource Monitor button, I have slightly different info:

Available : 1382 MB
    Cached: 1393 MB
    Total:     3799 MB
    Installed: 4096 MB

Why the total and installed here are different. 2008r2 cannot access all 4096.

Memory meter shows 2.34 GB.

Basically, what I is interesting Cached, Available and Free interpretation.

May be I forgot or didn't touch long time some basics... Really want to understand numbers in both cases.
    Unfortunately Help of Task Manager doesn't have any presized info.

Thanks,
    Michael.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
    • Edited by pob579 Monday, February 22, 2010 9:24 PM corrected
    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• Well, you can see the cache as already reserved for use. So it's like a runner ready to start, just not started yet.

Because it's already available for use Windows will be able to access it faster then when it has to allocate it.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Stefan
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, March 1, 2010 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I'll try to explain it here. Windows Server 2008, Vista (and up) have a different way of working with memory in comparison to earlier Windows versions. Windows tries to cache up memory to be able to allocate it quicker for a process that might need it. So it shows:

Cached: Memory in "use" by Windows. See this as a reservation to use the RAM when a process needs it.
    Free: Unused RAM, this is normally as low as possible because of quicker allocation.

The difference between Total and Installed is due to onboard devices like a videocard and such. Total memory shows the amount of memory Windows Server can use, Installed memory is just how much there is actually installed in the machine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stefan Hazenbroek
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Stefan,
    looks like Cache is equal to Available. Correct?
    And Graph line shows occupied memory. So Graph and Cache is about Total.
    Correct?

Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, that's correct. When you add up Cache and Available you'll get the Total memory.

Regards,

Stefan Hazenbroek
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:31 AM
  • So the cash should be stored in the Physical memory just "marked" as even faster than Physical.
    Correct?
    How it's done?

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Well, you can see the cache as already reserved for use. So it's like a runner ready to start, just not started yet.

Because it's already available for use Windows will be able to access it faster then when it has to allocate it.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Stefan
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, March 1, 2010 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:18 PM