How to upgrade Windows 10 ioT Ent 2015 (LTSB) to the 2016 version while retaining the exisitng settings, files, and applications? RRS feed

• Question

• We have some computers running Windows 10 ioT Ent 2015 (LTSB).

Is there a step-by-step guide on Microsoft website how to properly upgrade (not fresh re-install) this operating system to the 2016 version while retaining the settings, files, and applications?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hello

Please check the url below

https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/raw-tech/Manually-Updating-a-Raspberry-Pi-2-running-Windows-10-IoT-Core-to-the-1001058663-Update

Regards, Regin Ravi

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:54 AM
  • New versions of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are not published to Windows Update or WSUS, so you have to use media (ISO files will be available on VLSC on October 1st) for installation.

WSUS has updates for LTSB, not upgrades.

You can upgrade from LTSB 2015 to LTSB 2016, but using media, ConfigMgr or MDT task sequences.

https://osddeployment.dk/2016/08/05/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-1607-with-sccm-1606-inplace-task-sequence/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:41 AM
  • New versions of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are not published to Windows Update or WSUS, so you have to use media (ISO files will be available on VLSC on October 1st) for installation.

WSUS has updates for LTSB, not upgrades.

You can upgrade from LTSB 2015 to LTSB 2016, but using media, ConfigMgr or MDT task sequences.

https://osddeployment.dk/2016/08/05/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-1607-with-sccm-1606-inplace-task-sequence/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Teemo, Did you mean even the LTSB 2016 version IOS file is not yet available on the Volume Licensing Service Center site and have to wait till Oct 1?

We do not use SCCM or web deployment installation.

May I know how to use the LTSB 2016 ISO file to directly manually upgrade the existing LTSB 2015?
    (need to retain the files and programs already installed)

Thanks

• Edited by dchencm Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:48 PM typo
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:16 PM
  • No, no, my fault, sorry. Don’t care Oct. 1<sup>st</sup>.

The following sentence came from a Microsoft employee, which is announced in 2016, I forget to remark.

>>No, new versions of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are not published to Windows Update or WSUS, so you have to use media (ISO files will be available on VLSC on October 1st).

You can download LTSB 2016 iso from VLSC now.

About your upgrade idea, it’s ok, using iso to in-place upgrade, but for LTSB version, your programs need to be reinstalled.

Regards

Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:25 AM
  • No, no, my fault, sorry. Don’t care Oct. 1<sup>st</sup>.

The following sentence came from a Microsoft employee, which is announced in 2016, I forget to remark.

>>No, new versions of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB are not published to Windows Update or WSUS, so you have to use media (ISO files will be available on VLSC on October 1st).

You can download LTSB 2016 iso from VLSC now.

About your upgrade idea, it’s ok, using iso to in-place upgrade, but for LTSB version, your programs need to be reinstalled.

Regards

Thanks Teemo.
    I can't seem to find the LTSB 2016 iso file from VLSC site.
    Those computers we have (with LTSB 2015 installed) were purchased from Toshiba with Win10 LTSB 2015 per-configured. Is it because those operating systems are OEM (not volume licensed) therefore not available in my VLSC account?

I used the keyfinder to get the product key of this 2015 LTSB.
    Then I downloaded the from the evaluation site and installed it.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
    But when trying to apply the product key (got from 2015 LTSB), it said "didn't work'. Is it because this is a trial iso and I would need to download the full version iso? Or the 2016 LTSB require a new separate license?

Is there a way I can directly download the LTSB 2016 iso from the Microsoft website?
    Toshiba only provides recovery disc but I need to keep my programs and files.

By " for LTSB version, your programs need to be reinstalled," does it apply for all Win 10 Enterprise editions or only for LTSB?

"If you decide that you want to install Windows 10 Enterprise using one of the provided ISO files, you won't be able to uninstall it. In addition, after you install Windows 10 Enterprise, you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows. A clean installation of your former operating system will be required, and you will need to re-install all of your programs and data. "

Thank you.

• Edited by dchencm Saturday, September 29, 2018 11:05 PM update
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:49 PM