none
IE exclude one site from a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization is currently running a whole domain in compatibility view but there is 1 site within this domain we would like to exclude from compatibility view.

We are running IE 10 and would like to be able to set this via GPO if possible but will take whatever solution works!

All assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:24 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:25 AM

Answers

• Sadly IE11 is not yet an option and I have no idea how to tell if they use "declare X-UA-Compatible "  :-(

open the browser, navigate to the site in question, press F12 (to open the dev tools)

examine the current browser mode and emulation, on the dev toolbar.
    examine the html of the page, and look for a docmode declaration or an X-UA-Compatible declaration

if the webpage doesn't declare X-UA-Compatible, maybe it should be doing so. Contact the website owner/developer and ask them about this.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, There is no any Group Policy to exclude any site. However, you could include to compatibility view.

If you enable the "Include updated Web site lists from Microsoft" policy, when a user visits a site on the compatibility list provided by Microsoft, the page will automatically display in Compatibility View.

I suggest you create a new post in the Script forum to check if this can be done by a script:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:36 AM
  • There is no way to do this with a script.  CV set the whole domain and cannot choose one site. OOf course the term site is ambiguous here. Is a site a page. an application or what in this question.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:02 PM
  • Thank you I have posted to the script forum.  :-)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Thank you I have posted to the script forum.  :-)

There is no scripting way to do this that is why the question was moved to this forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:13 PM
  • More detail would be as follows:

We are running the .gc.ca domain in compatibility view via GPO as the federal government standard it IE 8 or 9.  As we are running IE 10 we have to run these sites in compatibility mode.  However, there is one site that was built for IE10 and does not run well in compatibility mode.  We would like to somehow allow that one site within the gc.ca domain to run in IE 10 mode.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:15 PM
  • We are running IE 10 and would like to be able to set this via GPO if possible but will take whatever solution works!

All I know is that the IECompatData.xml file has some examples which imply that this can be done to some extent (e.g. using the PATH element) but I haven't seen it documented anywhere or know how it could be exploited.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:19 PM
    Answerer
  • IECompatData.xml  is a Microsoft file.  I suspect it will get overwritten,  Post in the IE developer forum for more info on customizing IE.

I can recommend trying to use the full site url in the path statement:

<domain exclude="true">mydom.com
         <path>http://site1.mydom.com</path>
    </domain>

If you don't set up the domain first using the wizard it will likely be overwritten when MS updates the file.

Post in IE developer forum.  If anyone has done this they wil have done it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:46 PM
  • You still need to identify what you mean by a site.  We have domains, subdomains and hosts.  There is not concept of site in routing.  The idea of a site is up to the web browser. 

Google:

www.google.com
    OR
    google.com

The first may be a host but can be mapped to a "site" or path.  The GP allows pointing at a "site" so it will take www.google.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:58 PM
  • I'm sorry - I thought I had given extra detail.  We are running all .gc.ca sites in compatibility mode as their standard is only at IE9 and we are running IE 10.  However, there is one site in the .gc.ca domain that is built for IE 10 and we do not want it running in compatibility view.  Is there a way to leave all .gc.ca site in compatibility view yet run this one .gc.ca site in IE10?  I hope this is clearer...
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:49 PM
  • hope this is clearer...

In IE11 you could try Enterprise Mode (new to me since I last responded).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx 

Can you move users of the problem site to IE11?  

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:38 PM
    Answerer
  • However, there is one site in the .gc.ca domain that is built for IE 10 and we do not want it running in compatibility view.  Is there a way to leave all .gc.ca site in compatibility view yet run this one .gc.ca site in IE10? 

does this one site, declare X-UA-Compatible ? (I'm not sure, but this explicit declaration might override the Compatiblity View mode setting)

Or, as Robert suggests, IE11 Enterprise Mode might be just what you need.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Sadly IE11 is not yet an option and I have no idea how to tell if they use "declare X-UA-Compatible "  :-(
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 3:37 PM

open the browser, navigate to the site in question, press F12 (to open the dev tools)

examine the current browser mode and emulation, on the dev toolbar.
    examine the html of the page, and look for a docmode declaration or an X-UA-Compatible declaration

if the webpage doesn't declare X-UA-Compatible, maybe it should be doing so. Contact the website owner/developer and ask them about this.

Don

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:03 PM