Problem installing new Safari or Skype RRS feed

• Question

• Ok. I officially had it with IE8 and switched to Safari, which worked wonders for me. I am running version 3, and version 4 comes up, so naturally I try to install it - no dice, intall unsecsessful. It says download an run the install manually, so I do, and it says intall is already running. I see like 4 copies of msiexec in the task manager. When I exit the install, there are two(!) copies left, ok, so I kill one manually, and the other died of its own volition. So I try again - same thing: 4 copies, down to two copies. So I reboot (thank you guys from MS for that bit of advice) and first thing I do is try to run the install - same story. Naturally I gave up. But after I rebooted Win 7 chose to inform me that I have a problem with the Skype and the solution is available (btw it is the 3d time for the Skype, and I'm starting to think it is not they who are the problem here) so I click, and it does the same thing for Skype. I can not determine for certain is there is anything rotten in Dutch Kingdom, but in the Gatesland somenthing smells fishy.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:44 PM Moved to proper category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Vadim,

The first thing that you can do with issues like  these is put the installation in a windows vista compatiblity mode.
    Here is a tutorial how you can do this.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Second, try to get more information about the error.
    You can do this by the following steps.

1. Download the latest safari 4.
    2. Open a administrative prompt. 
    3. Go the full path to the Safarisetup.exe.
    And add the following command line /Log %TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt
    An example would be C:\users\vadmin\downloads\SafariSetup.exe  /Log %TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt
    4. Try to run the installation agian, if it fails no problem.
    5. When you exited the installation put the logfile (%TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt) somewhere online where i can review it.

Kind Regards
    DFT
    IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:37 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Vadim,

I'm trying to get some insight on the issue, will update you once I'm done with it.

Thanks,

Shruti
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Shruti

Thank you. I also wanted to let you know this has now affected the MS' own updates. I tried to do the important updates and it failed 6 out of 7, I tried it again and it failed 5 out of 6, which is where I quit it. There is definetly a quirck with update process

Thanks
    Vadim
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hi Vadim,

I tried installing Safari 4 on my Windows 7 RC VM and it was installed successfully and its working fine as of now.

Thanks,

Shruti

Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:34 PM
  • No doubt. The question is did you have Safari 3 already installed? Like I said I do not believe the problem is with Safari, the problem is with Win 7 msiexec, which is why I originally posted this into Miscelaneous group.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi Vadim,

The first thing that you can do with issues like  these is put the installation in a windows vista compatiblity mode.
    Here is a tutorial how you can do this.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Second, try to get more information about the error.
    You can do this by the following steps.

1. Download the latest safari 4.
    2. Open a administrative prompt. 
    3. Go the full path to the Safarisetup.exe.
    And add the following command line /Log %TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt
    An example would be C:\users\vadmin\downloads\SafariSetup.exe  /Log %TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt
    4. Try to run the installation agian, if it fails no problem.
    5. When you exited the installation put the logfile (%TEMP%\SafariIssue.txt) somewhere online where i can review it.

Kind Regards
    DFT
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:37 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Sure, thank you for repeatin the previous post, and sort pointing fingers at Safari. Allow me to sayt this one more time - I experience the SAME problem with Safari, Skype and MS own "important" updates. The issue is msiexec processes multiplying like rabbits, and stepping on each other's toe's. So please tell me what is wrong with YOUR code.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Vadim,

Sorry, if i give you the feeling that i am finger pointing Safari this is not my intention.
    But is it possible to create that logfile?
    From the data in this log file i "can" see what is going wrong with the microsoft installer.
    It gives me more in depth information.

Otherwise you can do try to do the basic microsoft installer repair tests.

1. Update MSIEXEC to the latest version (4.5).
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

2. Reset the MSIEXEC components
    1. At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
    2. Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Please give me some feedback.

Kind Regards
    DFT

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:41 AM