vista sleep mode problem RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone get a solution to this sleep mode problem? I hate to cold boot it everytime.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your posting. According to my research, more than one possibilities may cause the problem.

Devices

The problem may caused by the outdated drivers (or even not designed for Vista) or non-signified devices. Please use the following points to confirm it:

·         Confirm the drivers of all your devices are updated.

Note: Visit the manufacturers’ websites for these information if necessary.

·         Check whether there are unsigned devices in your computer.

Note: Start – in Start Search, type sigverif - press enter – follow the wizard to finish scan – click view log in Advanced.

If any important driver is outdated or not signified, please contact manufacturers of related devices for further support.

Configurations

Please also check the configuration of related devices. Please refer to the following steps.

1.    Click Start , type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.

2.    In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

3.    In Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices.

4.    Right-click the USB mouse, and then click Properties.

5.    Click the Power Management tab.

6.    Click to clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and then click OK.

7.    In Device Manager, expand Keyboards. Check the configuration of your keyboard as above steps.

If the problem still persists or I misunderstand anything, please let me know.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 9, 2007 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your posting. According to my research, more than one possibilities may cause the problem.

Devices

The problem may caused by the outdated drivers (or even not designed for Vista) or non-signified devices. Please use the following points to confirm it:

·         Confirm the drivers of all your devices are updated.

Note: Visit the manufacturers’ websites for these information if necessary.

·         Check whether there are unsigned devices in your computer.

Note: Start – in Start Search, type sigverif - press enter – follow the wizard to finish scan – click view log in Advanced.

If any important driver is outdated or not signified, please contact manufacturers of related devices for further support.

Configurations

Please also check the configuration of related devices. Please refer to the following steps.

1.    Click Start , type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.

2.    In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

3.    In Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices.

4.    Right-click the USB mouse, and then click Properties.

5.    Click the Power Management tab.

6.    Click to clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and then click OK.

7.    In Device Manager, expand Keyboards. Check the configuration of your keyboard as above steps.

If the problem still persists or I misunderstand anything, please let me know.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 9, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Thanks for the advise but problem unsolved yet.

(1) 2 unsigned devices found...avgclean.sys and avgwfp.sys.  Unable to solve this issue.

(2) I unchecked the mice and keyboards devices as suggested.  But how to awake my computer from sleep mode if not using the mouse or keyboard?

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Thank you for feedback!

Let me answer the questions per your questions first.

1.    avgclean.sys and avgwfp.sys are both drivers related to AVG Internet Security produced by Grisoft. Sometimes, unsigned drivers lead to such sleep mode problems.

2.    Some USB devices don’t work correctly, which may also lead to the issue. The steps I suggested is to perform a test for this possibility. Please reselect the checkboxes.

According to your reply, I’d like to recommend you to try steps for further troubleshooting:

1.    Enter sleep mode, then try to wake the computer by switching power button. If it fails, reboot the computer.

2.    Click Start, then click Run, type eventvwr.msc and click OK.

3.    Expend the Windows Logs, select System. Then find the event with source called Power-Troubleshooter.

4.    Check the event properties in the general tab. If it informs that something prevent the system from sleep, please let me know the content.

As what I mentioned before, some unsigned drivers can cause such problems. Therefore, please uninstall the AVG anti-virus software and check the issue again.

If the problem still persists, please just let me know.

Sincerely,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:21 PM
  • Dear Lionel,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Sorry that last time I replied in a hurry because I have other problems to sort out when using my new Visita PC. 

(1) Power MGT problem: I change the settings as suggested and my computer can awake from sleep mode by pressing the power button without the need to uninstall AVG.

(2) LAN problem, my Visita PC unable to open my XP PC's share folders.  Only my XP can see my Visita's share folders.

(3) Each time I send print from my Visita PC, my LAN printer (connected via a router) will print endlessly and also none of the page is aligned correctly.

When I run the eventvwr.msc, there are lots of errors and 2 warnings today.

Errors related to Microsoft-Windows-Servicing and atikmdag, warnings come from Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerWin32SPL (refer attachments below).

Regards,

FatChiu

Errors:

記錄檔名稱:         System
    來源:            Microsoft-Windows-Servicing
    日期:            15/11/2007 11:07:35
    事件識別碼:         4385
    工作類別:          無
    等級:            錯誤
    關鍵字:           傳統
    使用者:           SYSTEM
    電腦:            Di-PC
    描述:
    「Windows 服務」無法完成將套件 KB941649_3(Update) 之更新 941649-18_RTM_neutral_GDR 變更為 進行(Staging) 狀態的程序
    事件 Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4385</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-15T03:07:35.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18829</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Di-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <CbsUpdateChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">
          <UpdateName>941649-18_RTM_neutral_GDR</UpdateName>
          <PackageIdentifier>KB941649_3</PackageIdentifier>
          <ReleaseType>Update</ReleaseType>
          <UpdateState>Staging</UpdateState>
          <PackageAssembly>Package_3_for_KB941649~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.2.1</PackageAssembly>
          <UpdateDisplayName>
          </UpdateDisplayName>
          <Operation>Staged</Operation>
          <OperationCompleted>False</OperationCompleted>
          <ErrorCode>0x800f0816</ErrorCode>
          <RebootOption>False</RebootOption>
        </CbsUpdateChangeState>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Warnings:

來源:            Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerWin32SPL
    日期:            15/11/2007 11:21:55
    事件識別碼:         4
    工作類別:          無
    等級:            警告
    使用者:           不適用
    描述:
    列印多工緩衝處理程式無法重新開啟現有的印表機連線,因為它無法登錄機碼 S-1-5-18\Printers\Connections 讀取設定資訊。列印多工緩衝處理程式無法開啟該登錄機碼。若該登錄機碼已損毀或遺失,或該登錄最近暫時無法使用,則會發生此情況。
    事件 Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerWin32SPL" Guid="{13E8B4F7-4D1C-4F65-95A2-39C6B26A3012}" EventSourceName="Client Side Rendering Spooler" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-15T03:21:55.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18851</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">S-1-5-18\Printers\Connections</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Errors:

來源:            atikmdag
    日期:            15/11/2007 11:01:42
    事件識別碼:         43038
    工作類別:          (42)
    等級:            錯誤
    使用者:           不適用
    描述:
    找不到來自來源 atikmdag 之事件識別碼 43038 的描述。本機電腦可能並未安裝引發此事件的元件,或安裝已損毀。您可以在本機電腦上安裝或修復該元件。

如果事件源自其他電腦,則儲存它們時必須一併儲存顯示資訊。

下列資訊已隨附於該事件:

已提供訊息資源,但在字串/訊息表中找不到訊息

事件 Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="atikmdag" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">43038</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>42</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-15T03:01:42.293Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18659</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>00000000010000002A0000001EA800C0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback!

As you mentioned two different issues from the one discussed in this current thread, we'd recommend that you start up a new thread for them. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

TechNet Forum for Windows Vista Networking: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=716&SiteID=17

TechNet Forum for Windows Vista Printing: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=717&SiteID=17

Let’s go on with the issue about sleep mode. According to your feedback, you can normally wake the computer from sleep mode by pressing power button. Therefore, please continue narrowing the problem by following steps:

1.    Pressing power button can always wake the computer, no matter the checkboxes (Permit mice/keyboards to wake the computer) are selected or not. Is it true? If it only works when the checkboxes are cleared, the mouse and keyboard may work incorrectly, which lead the problem.

2.    If the answer to Step 1 is Yes. I suspect that the unsigned drivers or AVG firewall itself (avgclean.sys and avgwfp.sys) affect the function of USB devices to wake the computer from sleep. If you want go further in this issue, I still suggest uninstalling AVG Internet Security and check it. Alternatively, it’s also a good idea to contact AVG to report the issue about unsigned drivers in Windows Vista and ask for a method.

3.    Check the mouse and keyboard and update the drivers. if possible, try another keyboard and mouse to wake the computer. If that works, the input equipments or drivers may be too legacy to support the function.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:28 AM
  • Lionel,

Thanks again. The answer to Step (1) is No.  I use Asus P5K motherboard (claimed to support Vista).  According to your suggestions, this problem should not be related to the motherboard, right?

I found Vista driver for my Genius Traveler 100 but can't find driver for my Genius KB-06XE. Will try to new mouse driver let you know the result.

Have a nice weekend too!

Regards,

Fatchiu

Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

I’m happy that you’ve found a new driver for the mouse and I’m looking forwards to the result.

Based on my experience, this issue is most possibly caused by improper or unsigned 3rd party drivers or services, which are designed for applications, input equipment, motherboard and so on.

Therefore, please pay attention to the unsigned drivers, and also update the drivers for motherboard as well.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

When i prompt to sleep mode my system get complete restart as it do not save my session. Then the screen shows that unexpected shut down error.

mine notebook is HP 9502au which is vista premium preinstalled.

Please help!!

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:02 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting!

The issue you described is a little different from the one discussed in this thread. we'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

For your reference, please firstly update all the device (especially motherboard) drivers to the latest versions. Then, check whether all the drivers in your computer is digitally signed (Start – type “sigverif”).

If the problem still persists after updating drivers, we will focus on this problem in new thread you start. Please also include the information about unsigned drivers in it.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, November 23, 2007 7:08 AM
  • hi,

my computer won't let me in sleep mode because whenever I click sleep mode, i wait a couple seconds, and it just comes back on to enter your password.

any suggestions?

Thanks,

TechGuy196

P.S. My computer has Windows Vista Home Premium

Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:08 PM
  • I have unsigned hp dirvers that I think are keeping my computer from sleeping.  Computer was fine until I installed these drivers.  Had this same problem with XP and it fixed by going to msconfig and disbaling these at startup.  With vista this doesnt seem to fix the problem.  How do I uninstall these drivers (there are 4 of them in c:\windows\system 32 section) with a .dll extension.....  Or do I just uninstall the device from the device manager????  What do you think is best?  HP says the drivers are all up to date......

Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:26 PM
  •  

Heyy guyz gotta say this is one of the 1st time im postin for a fourm but i had the same problem as the rest of u with resumeing from sleep but i have found what the problem is…well at least for me….n im sure for alot more out there….its really simple…try uninstalling the shockwave player from control panel and restart the computer and then try putting it to sleep….worked perfect for me…GOOD LUCK PEOPLE!! let me know if it works n spread the word!!!
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:34 AM