none
Auto-Approval of Targeted Windows 10 Feature Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Auto-Approval rule setup in WSUS with the following conditions set:

- When an update is in Feature Packs, Upgrades

- When an update is in Windows 10

- Approve the update for Deployment Ring 2

However, this Auto-Approves, all Windows 10 Upgrades, including:

- x86 / x64

- Consumer Editions / Business Editions

- v1607 / v1703 / v1709 / v1803 / v1809

-en-GB / en-US

Which means, although I am only trying to approve "Windows 10 v1809, x64, en-GB, Business Editions", which would be approx 5GB, it wants to pull down approx 180GB of updates.

There doesn't appear to be any other Product or Category selections that I can make to filter this approval.

Am I limited to manual approvals? In which case, that's a bit crappy from MS. Within SCCM you can filter editions within Windows 10 Servicing Plans.

Friday, February 1, 2019 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I have been working with standalone WSUS and SCCM for a long time. Yes, you are right. That's all we can select in the WSUS automatic approvals. It does not have the ability to set more detailed filters like ADR in SCCM.

Coming back to your situation, I personally suggest that do not set Automatic Approvals for Upgrades. One reason, as you said, is that it would consume lots of bandwidth to download unwanted update files. Another reason is that in an actual production environment, client upgrades need to be treated with caution.

Approving manually is a better choice based on above reasons. However, if you continue with the Automatic Approvals, the regular Server Cleanup would remove the unused update metadata and files. 

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have been working with standalone WSUS and SCCM for a long time. Yes, you are right. That's all we can select in the WSUS automatic approvals. It does not have the ability to set more detailed filters like ADR in SCCM.

Coming back to your situation, I personally suggest that do not set Automatic Approvals for Upgrades. One reason, as you said, is that it would consume lots of bandwidth to download unwanted update files. Another reason is that in an actual production environment, client upgrades need to be treated with caution.

Approving manually is a better choice based on above reasons. However, if you continue with the Automatic Approvals, the regular Server Cleanup would remove the unused update metadata and files. 

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Thanks Ray.

That's useful information. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious.

I've written a Powershell script to automate/trigger the manual approval of the specific Windows 10 Feature Update that I require, rather than using the WSUS Auto Approval Rules.

The Computer Group that was going to have the Auto Approval was only ever a test group, so only contained a few machines. The update would always have been manually approved for broad deployment.

Thanks again,

Graham

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:12 PM