"First Assigned Date" is not always set on incidents with an assigned to user RRS feed

• Question

• I got a complaint from a user that some incidents are breaching SLA for for First Assigned time, when they were assigned within the SLA time.  Digging into the history, it seems that the "First Assigned Date" workflow is not triggering on some incidents even though there clearly is a relationship added to the "Assigned to User" class. 

Is the first assigned date dependent on the Assign to analyst console task?  Doesn't seem like it would be because a template could have a user assigned to it.

We are not experiencing any workflow slowness, and other workflows are triggering just fine.  Any ideas on how to troubleshot this?  The standard workflow troubleshooting does not seem to shed any light on anything.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:09 PM

All replies

• This'll probably be difficult (or impossible) to answer, but was your workflow service restarted around the time those incidents were assigned?

Restarting the workflow service right around the time triggers are created (like newly created objects/relationships, modified objects, etc) can cause the workflows to miss the trigger. Every time I restart my services, there are always a couple work items stuck between activities because the workflow never saw the latest activity being completed..so the next one is never put in progress.

I looked at the first-assigned-to workflow and it's pretty simple. It's a workflow that reacts to a new assigned-to user relationship being created..that's all. It doesn't rely on the assign-to-analyst task, either. The workflow uses Overwrite() (which is correct) so there's no risk of collisions...

The first-assigned workflow is hidden in the console, but you can make it visible if you want to see if there are any failures (at least through the console's perspective). Add a category to one of your unsealed MPs that targets the "WorkItem_SetFirstAssingedTo_RelationhsipAdd_Rule". (Yes, the rule is has two misspellings..the coder wasn't very careful ;) ). That rule is in the ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Library MP. The Value for the category must be Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.Rules.WorkflowSubscriptions which is in the Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Administration MP. Creating that category will expose the first-assigned-to workflow in the Administration|Workflows|Status view.

If you haven't already looked at the results in the JobHistory SQL table, that'll at least give you some idea whether the workflow failed at any point.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:34 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

I have created a new MP, but am having trouble importing it.  I get an error:

The management pack import failed.
    Errors (1):
    The Target attribute value is not valid. Element ShowFirstAssigned.Category references a Target element that cannot be found.

Here is the XML from my MP:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <ManagementPack xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" ContentReadable="true" SchemaVersion="1.1">
    <Manifest>
        <Identity>
            <ID>OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow</ID>
            <Version>1.0.0.0</Version>
        </Identity>
        <Name>OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow</Name>
        <References>
            <Reference Alias="System">
                <ID>System.Library</ID> 
                <Version>7.5.8501.0</Version> 
                <PublicKeyToken>31bf3856ad364e35</PublicKeyToken> 
            </Reference>
            <Reference Alias="Console">
                <ID>Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console</ID> 
                <Version>7.5.3079.0</Version> 
            </Reference>
    		<Reference Alias="IncidentManagement">
    			<ID>ServiceManager.IncidentManagement.Library</ID>
    			<Version>7.5.3079.0</Version>
    		</Reference>
    		<Reference Alias="EnterpriseManagement2">
    			<ID>Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Administration</ID>
    			<Version>7.5.3079.236</Version>
    		</Reference>

</References>
    </Manifest>
    <Categories>
        <Category ID="OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow.Category" Value="Console!Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ManagementPack">
            <ManagementPackName>OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow</ManagementPackName>
            <ManagementPackVersion>1.0.0.0</ManagementPackVersion>
        </Category>
    	<Category ID="ShowFirstAssigned.Category" Target="WorkItem_SetFirstAssingedTo_RelationhsipAdd_Rule" Value="EnterpriseManagement2!Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.Rules.WorkflowSubscriptions" />
    </Categories>
    <LanguagePacks>
        <LanguagePack ID="ENU" IsDefault="true">
            <DisplayStrings>
                <DisplayString ElementID="OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow">
                    <Name>OIT_ShowFirstAssigned_Workflow</Name>
                </DisplayString>
            </DisplayStrings>
        </LanguagePack>
    </LanguagePacks>
    </ManagementPack>
    Any ideas on how I am targeting incorrectly?

Monday, October 19, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Any Ideas on how to get first-assigned workflow to show in the console?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:27 AM