Start Menu in Windows 10 Build 10041 not working RRS feed

• Question

• 20 minutes after the installation everything was fine and the start menu was working well. It has stopped all of a sudden now. Pressing start button as well now simply highlights the search bar and I have to rely on it to open all my apps. If anyone is facing any similar problem, please help.

Thanks.

Monday, March 30, 2015 7:35 PM

Answers

• I actually found a sequence to enable the search to work again on my Surface Pro 1:

Restart the device without the keyboard attached. When you see search is working attach the keyboard.

Dan

Dan Ardelean

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:59 AM

All replies

• Try restart your PC.

If possible, open Windows Update and check for Update.

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:47 PM
  • Menu de démarrage ne fonctionne pas
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Hi sidkum,

Have you tried to restart the Windows Explorer through Task Manager?

Right click on the taskbar, select task manager, then find Windows Explorer, select it and click the button on the right bottom side, then check if issue could be solved.

Or you may create a new user account, and copy the old files from the old user profile to the new one.

Follow this guide:

Fix a corrupted user profile

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:54 AM
  • I'm having the same issue and its not related to any updates... Just curious, do you happen to have an Asrock mobo? laptop, tablet or desktop? what are your specs ill post mine here as-well. Also is your installation an update from build 9926 to build 10041? are u in UEFI mode or BIOS mode?

Mine is a clean fresh install from the .ISO!

For me this issue began after my machine's 3rd reboot. Just after I installed all my system specific drivers and utils..

specs are as follow..%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview
    Version 10.0.10041 Build 10041
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name WIN-H0M********
    System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.90, 7/18/2014
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume6
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10041.0"
    User Name WIN-H0M********\*****
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 14.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 13.0 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 17.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
    Page File Space 2.77 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

IF YOU NEED MORE INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'd love to get to the bottom of this one...

Sincerely, YOUR_FRIENDLY_BLS_SERVICE_PROVIDER

Sunday, April 5, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Sunday, April 5, 2015 6:50 PM
  • Tried, not working. My Start Menu stopped working after switching to tablet mode. Switching back doesn't help. Another thing I noticed is that before the start menu stopped working, the context menu's items look like tablet mode (huge item margins) even though it's in desktop mode and operated using a mouse.

The Powershell repair even made the previously working search bar disappear...

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:15 AM
  • I actually found a sequence to enable the search to work again on my Surface Pro 1:

Restart the device without the keyboard attached. When you see search is working attach the keyboard.

Dan

Dan Ardelean

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:59 AM