Invoke-CsManagmentServerFailover : Backend state does not match expected state. RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to run through the pool failover procedure and when I run "Invoke-CsManagementServerFailover
    -BackupSqlServerFqdn drsql01.domain.com -force -verbose" I get the error:

Invoke-CsManagmentServerFailover : Backend state does not match expected state.

I already ran:

Get-CsPoolBackupRelationship

Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus

Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus –CentralManagementStoreStatus

Invoke-CsBackupServiceSync

All of the results of these commands look to be correct.   Any ideas on what else I could try?

Traci

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check which Back End Server in Backup_Pool runs the principal instance of the Central Management store by typing the following:

Get-CsDatabaseMirrorState -DatabaseType Centralmgmt -PoolFqdn <Backup_Pool Fqdn>

If the primary Back End Server in Backup_Pool is the principal, type:

Invoke-CSManagementServerFailover -BackupSQLServerFqdn <Backup_Pool Primary BackEnd Server FQDN> -BackupSQLInstanceName <Backup_Pool Primary SQL Instance Name> 

If the mirror Back End Server in Backup_Pool is the principal, type:

Invoke-CSManagementServerFailover -MirrorSQLServerFqdn <Backup_Pool Mirror BackEnd Server FQDN> -MirrorSQLInstanceName <Backup_Pool Mirror SQL Instance Name> 

More details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204678%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Sunday, April 24, 2016 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:34 AM
  • When I ran  Get-CsBackupServiceStatus -PoolFQDN pool.domain.com

It showed "OverallImportStatus: ErrorState"

So then I ran, Debug-CSInterpoolReplication -PoolFQDN pool.domain.com

Now I can run Backup-CsPool -poolfqdn pool.domain.com and it comes back Successful/NormalState

Traci

• Marked as answer by Traci Herr Monday, April 25, 2016 6:55 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check which Back End Server in Backup_Pool runs the principal instance of the Central Management store by typing the following:

Get-CsDatabaseMirrorState -DatabaseType Centralmgmt -PoolFqdn <Backup_Pool Fqdn>

If the primary Back End Server in Backup_Pool is the principal, type:

Invoke-CSManagementServerFailover -BackupSQLServerFqdn <Backup_Pool Primary BackEnd Server FQDN> -BackupSQLInstanceName <Backup_Pool Primary SQL Instance Name> 

If the mirror Back End Server in Backup_Pool is the principal, type:

Invoke-CSManagementServerFailover -MirrorSQLServerFqdn <Backup_Pool Mirror BackEnd Server FQDN> -MirrorSQLInstanceName <Backup_Pool Mirror SQL Instance Name> 

More details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204678%28v=ocs.15%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Sunday, April 24, 2016 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Actually that error was cleared up by adding the SQL SysAdmin permission and waiting for replication.  Now we are getting this error

Backup-CsPool -PoolFqdn pool.domain.com -LocalStore:$false -FullBackup -Category UserData

Error: "Cannot get backup status for pool "pool.domain.com" as non of the active machines in the pool has active backup service"

Also, "The backup service import operation failed. Retry will be attempted"

Any ideas?

Traci

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:18 PM
  • When I ran  Get-CsBackupServiceStatus -PoolFQDN pool.domain.com

It showed "OverallImportStatus: ErrorState"

So then I ran, Debug-CSInterpoolReplication -PoolFQDN pool.domain.com

Now I can run Backup-CsPool -poolfqdn pool.domain.com and it comes back Successful/NormalState

Traci

• Marked as answer by Traci Herr Monday, April 25, 2016 6:55 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 6:55 PM