Slipstream install of XP cause strange browser problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new computer and installed Win XP (Home) SP3 to continue using needed, dated graphics software. The install required me to make a slipstream CD [used Nlite, which offers custom install of XP].
    Intel® DQ45CB Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz 3M 1066 Processor
    4GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Dual Channel
    500GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive
    Integrated Intel GMA 4500 Graphics
    Access to Internet via router to cable connection.

Installed FrontPage/Office 2000.
    The install went OK, except that it stopped near the end to say:
    "Unable to access configuration for Microsoft professional web server."
    (my understanding is that XP does not support a web server)
    I clicked OK and got: "Completed successfully."

Problems right away: FP-2000 could not open or upload to online FP "webs."

I have FrontPage 2000 **fully functional** on my old, decrepit Win XP pc which is hooked to the same router. I have compared all the settings and they are the same as the new install. My install on the old pc was about done 4 months ago after doing a clean install of XP from my original Win XP/Service Pack 1 CD, then doing the required updates. I don't remember there being any problems with FP at that time.

Although FP-2000 could not communicate with websites, my email and browsers were OK. I wondered if either the wire between the router and the new pc or the router connector (socket?) might be imperfect, I unplugged the wire from the router and switched it to the socket where my printer had been connected. This caused immediate [and odd] problems with my Chrome and IE8 browsers - but not with Firefox 3.6.3.
    The problems:
    I can reach my site (goodlight.net) and sites I have hosted there ("parked domains"), but no other sites. I either get the goodlight error page or, for example, if I was trying to reach google.com, my www.goodlight.net/goodmenu.htm page is displayed with mish-mash combo URL like: http://google.com/goodmenu.htm. Weird!

I switched the network wire back to its original connector, but the situation has not changed.

I have done the following:
    uninstalled Office/Frontpage
    made edits to http://google.com/goodmenu.htm to ensure Chrome/IE were not reading from cache
    cleared the cache in Chrome/IE
    uninstalled Chrome and IE
    reinstalled Chrome and IE
    rebooted numerous times
    used http://72.14.213.105/  to reach google.com - only Firefox succeeds
    None of this has solved the problems.

DHCP is enabled and DNS set to auto.

My old PC and a 3rd PC on the network are functioning without problems.

We are beginning to think XP should be reinstalled, perhaps a new slipstream CD made with an eye to ensuring that XP isn't "tweaked" [various features not installed] in the process. I guess my basic question is: Could my XP install have led to these problems? Is there any way to repair present install, or should I just re-install XP? All advice gratefully received.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 6:41 PM