none
Actual works being modifying RRS feed

• Question

• (Project Server 2007 - Project Professional 2007)

I hope that someone can help me.

We use timesheet to bill our actual hours, import them in my tasks, and update projects.

Our problems is that sometimes, after importing through my task, actual works in timesheet is different from actual works in the project.

For example:

Task A ( from date x to y, fixed duration, no effort driven)

A resource is assigned to task A (but also to others)

This resource bills in his timesheet Actual hours:

Monday: 0

Tuesday:0

Wednesday:0

Thursday:0

Friday: 3

Then he imports in my tasks, submits to PM, the PM accept everything and open the project…we find:

Monday: 0

Tuesday:0

Wednesday:0

Thursday:0

Friday: 2.25

And NEXT Monday: 0.75

Someone can help me to understand what’s happened?

Is something related to 100% completed tasks?

But sometimes it happens also for not completed tasks..and it modifies a long period, not only a week...

Regards,

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Is your Resource A working on multiple project? What is the resource %unit (8hrs/day?) ?

When you assign resources to tasks Project will spread work for that resource at an even spread across the duration of the task. For example, a three week duration task with a single resource assigned at 25% will cause project to spread the 30 hours of work across the 21 days at an even rate of 10 hours per week.. If during the first week, the resource simply reports actual work of 20 hours, but you supply no further information, Project will assume the resource has already worked on the task for two weeks duration.

You need to look further into how your actual work is being imported. It sounds like it's just being "bulk" imported and not time phased.

Does that help?

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Thank you very much, but can you explain me better what do you mean for “It sounds like it's just being "bulk" imported and not time phased”?
    How can Project do a bulk import?
    How can I avoid a bulk import?

Best regards.

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Unless you use the option to lock updates to Project Web App only, then there is always the possibility of actual work changing in the Project Schedule due to any number of common actions that the schedule owner can perform. Based on the information you provide, there is absolutely no way to predict or explain what you are seeing.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:32 PM