Internal Backup Harddrive is not being recognized shows up initially after coldboot RRS feed

• Question

• System is running Vista Ultimate SP 2 on a Wolfdale processor Asus MB.  Two 1.5 TB Seagate SATA drivesinternal.

I had Norton Ghost running and backing up to a 1.5 TB Seagate.  

This worked fine for a year and then I had some issues with freezing on a backup. 

I ran FDisk and it worked again.  The drive then disappeared and I had thought it dead.  

I ran Fixit for a minor issue when hyperlinks were not working in Word and the drive reappeared and was functional.  SMART check via Seagate program showed drive healthy.

I changed partitions on the drive with Acronis and then the drive disappeared again.

The drive reappears after a coldboot [full power off] until the system finishes all of the driver loading then it has disappeared again.  I can see the drive initally in My Computer but by the time the MCC storage comes up it is gone.  Prior to changing the partions with Acronis it was back for several weeks.

The drive does not reappear after a warmboot.

The drive does contain backups of operating system.

Are there partition size limits for Vista? It is currently under  1 TB.  Is it perhaps the backed up operating system?  It had worked for quite some time. 

Steve in California

Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:07 PM

Answers

• I have several full backups of the OS on that drive. No repeat installs but copies.   

However, found the issue - Seagate DiscWizard was disabled in System Configuration and enabling it brought the drive back up.  Curious. 

Drive is back up and was able to run CHKDSK on it to remove the issues that had cause Ghost to lockup and continually try to back up on it.  Disabled Ghost and am using Acronis.

Can the Vista Repair Environment be installed as a boot option?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve in California

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, June 18, 2012 3:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Please refer to the steps in the following blog:

How to install Windows RE on the hard disk

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, let’s check whether drive can be recognized in WinRE.

1. Plug the hard drive into the Laptop, insert the Vista installation DVD to the computer

2. Reboot the computer and press any key when you are prompted to start from the disc

3. Choose your language settings and click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System Recovery Options

6. Click on Command Prompt.

Can you access the hard drive now? If so, please backup your files in Command Prompt.

If you do not familiar with Command Prompt, please reference the commands: “copy”, ”mkdir” and ”chdir”.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cmd.mspx?mfr=true

Then, let’s try to check the hard disk in Command Prompt.

chkdsk TheDriveLetter: /r

Please use the driver letter you see do this. For example, the hard drive letter is D, the command is:

Chkdsk D: /r

After repairing it, try to restart the computer to Windows Vista and test this issue again.

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:24 AM
  • What will your proposed solution ie Vista RE do to using MS Fingerprint reader to logon?

The Hard Drive shows up in the BIOS, Shows up on my computer before Vista finishes booting but vanishes afterwards.  Microsoft OS's used to do this to drives with Duplicate OS's on them.  My OS is backed up several times on the drive that vanishes.  This is my backup drive. [I have backed up to an external drive as well] 

Odd issue is that the Fixit for MSWord /Outlook hyperlinks not working brought it back once.  Might try it again.

This is a system that I use regularly and I need to get another system up and running before I risk the cure being worse than the issue.

Can I install RE like the console without running it first?.

If it is the duplicate OS issue,  I might just reformat the drive and mirror the first drive. 

Thanks,

Steve in California

Friday, June 8, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Did you take the steps in my previous post?

What’s your meaning of “duplicate OS”?

Did you install the another Vista or XP, or other systems on this computer?

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:58 AM
  • I have several full backups of the OS on that drive. No repeat installs but copies.   

However, found the issue - Seagate DiscWizard was disabled in System Configuration and enabling it brought the drive back up.  Curious. 

Drive is back up and was able to run CHKDSK on it to remove the issues that had cause Ghost to lockup and continually try to back up on it.  Disabled Ghost and am using Acronis.

Can the Vista Repair Environment be installed as a boot option?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve in California

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Please refer to the steps in the following blog:

How to install Windows RE on the hard disk

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:49 AM