none
Phantom Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• OK, my turn to ask a curious question... This one baffles me and no apparent posts discuss it.

I have a client, using Project Professional 2007, a resource pool with 300+ resources and about two dozen projects, each one year in length.  Operators connect to the pool, make resource assignments then disconnect.  (Operational reasons dictate this policy).

The resource pool has what I call a "phantom calendar".  It is a base calendar, but it does not appear in the base calendar list in the organizer.  I disconnected all sharer files from the pool, and the pool from the sharer files.  I attempted to change to the correct base calendar for the resources, using several methodologies (resource sheet, one resource at a time, Resource Information dialog box etc.)  Each time I save the file and close it.  Upon reopening, the "phantom calendar" is still set as the base calendar for all resources.

I verified that this calendar is not in the Gloabl.MPT file on any machine in use. 

This is a new one...Any ideas?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:37 AM

All replies

• Gregg,

My first thought, particularly with all the connecting and disconnecting to the resource pool, is file corruption. I'm not sure if this will help but you could try saving the pool as XML and re-opening, if you haven't done that already. But as you are probably well aware, the XML "trick" doesn't always clear corruption. You could also try method 4 of FAQ 43 - Handling project file corruption and/or bloat, found on the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm. If neither of those approach work and you are at wits end, you may have to consider the option of re-building the pool file.

My ideas

John

Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:52 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the input.  I attempted the XML route, even though I only use that for file size issues.  After using several other tricks I have up my sleeve, we decided the best response was to revert to the previous version and rebuild from there.  Fortunately, this has convinced them to move to Project Server.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Gregg,

You're welcome. I'm a little surprised no one else responded. At least your client DID have a previous version to rebuild.

John

Friday, December 14, 2012 8:20 PM