Drive Configuration Question: Another Best Performance Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a Server with 16 Disks. 15 Disks are the same (15K Drives) and 1 Disk is a cheap SATA Disk to store Sourcefiles and other stuff.

1 Disk i would reserve for Hotspare.

14 Disks i have for the Installation of OS, SQL Server, SCCM. There is only one primary Site.

What configuration gives the best Performance?

A)

C: OS -> 2 (Raid 1)

D: SCCM -> 4 (Raid1+0)

E: SQL (Program + DB) -> 4 (Raid1+0)

F: SQL Log -> 2 (Raid1)

G: SQL TempDB und Log -> 2 (Raid1)

B)

C: OS -> 2 (Raid 1)

D: Programs (SQL und SCCM) -> 2 (Raid 1)

E: ContentLibrary -> 4 (Raid 1+0)

F: SQL DB -> 2 (Raid 1)

G: SQL Log -> 2 (Raid 1)

H: TempDB+Log -> 2(Raid1 oder Raid0)

C)

Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:01 AM

Answers

• There's really not a lot of difference layout wise between A and B above. The main things to separate out are OS, SQL DB, SQL TempDB, SQL Logs, and the ConfigMgr install files. The other items you have listed have a minimal impact on performance and don't really matter where you put them performance wise.

The one major difference between A and B is the use of RAID 10 for the ConfigMgr install files and SQL DB -- this will give A much better perofrmance. For B, putting the ContentLib on a RAID 10 is a waste of space and drives because the ContentLib doesn't affect performance that much and you just be backing it up instead of wasting disks on it for redundancy.

For A, you might consider combining F and G into a RAID 5 (or 6) for performance. Not exactly sure which would be better though. Not sure the best place for the ContentLib either: probably on the ConfigMgr install drive assuming you can give it enough space.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• thank you for the links, but they does not help me.

MS has dozen of Disks, has virtualized and separated eachs role including sql server.

In my concrete situation what would be you deciscion? A, B, C (details)?

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:31 AM
  • There's really not a lot of difference layout wise between A and B above. The main things to separate out are OS, SQL DB, SQL TempDB, SQL Logs, and the ConfigMgr install files. The other items you have listed have a minimal impact on performance and don't really matter where you put them performance wise.

The one major difference between A and B is the use of RAID 10 for the ConfigMgr install files and SQL DB -- this will give A much better perofrmance. For B, putting the ContentLib on a RAID 10 is a waste of space and drives because the ContentLib doesn't affect performance that much and you just be backing it up instead of wasting disks on it for redundancy.

For A, you might consider combining F and G into a RAID 5 (or 6) for performance. Not exactly sure which would be better though. Not sure the best place for the ContentLib either: probably on the ConfigMgr install drive assuming you can give it enough space.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:08 PM