Solved:- Unable to remove and reinstall WSUS role on Windows 2012 R2 Running SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

hoping to get some advice on WSUS server on windows 2012 r2 SCCM installed with SUS.  

I noticed after the 1706 update on SCCM, the admin tools for wsus was missing from the server.  SUS also complains that SUS was unable to configured WSUS when changing settings. 

So I tried to remove WSUS and the removal fails with no error message.  it Just states feature removal failed and nothing in event view.. 

There no file on C: called programsfiles which used to stop WSUS service from starting. 

SUS still talking to WSUS services and updating database but everyday i see an error from SUS and an error in the event log showing WSUS synchronisation failed but then it recovers and syncs successfully.  Clients still receive updates, so strange..

So Remove feature Gui shows WSUS installed.  Powershell Get-WindowsFeature -ComputerName  shows WSUS not installed and i'm unable to remove or reinstall feature either way. 

Was going to try this https://davidvielmetter.com/tricks/wsus-wont-uninstall-or-re-install/ but no idea if this will work for a integrated role on windows 2012 r2

I thought the feature update for windows 2012 r2 would update wsus 3 sp2 to 4 but can't check..

Any Ideas? 

Jeff

Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Yan, yes it was the first thing i did. 

Fixed using Powershell, Although gui failed (need to find out why) Removing the feature and reinstalling using powershell worked..

I now have the tools,  synced and powershell is showing the feature installed. 

Very Helpful 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/04/15/installing-wsus-on-windows-server-2012/

Took a while but worked.. 

Also need to no what caused it as there was a update and a 1706 update that reported a successfully install but some how messed with WSUS..

Cheers

Jeff

• Marked as answer by fatbrain.co.uk Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:43 PM

All replies

• I think this post might help you.
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:33 PM
  • Hello,

If you are running Windows Server 2012 R2, you should not be able to install WSUS 3.2. 

And if you have SUP role on this WSUS server, you should first remove the SUP role and then uninstall WSUS role and WID database role. 

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 2:14 AM
  • Unfortunately removing the database only showed the same problem..  
    Monday, October 23, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

Have you removed SUP role on this server?

Regards,

Yan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Hi Yan, yes it was the first thing i did. 

Fixed using Powershell, Although gui failed (need to find out why) Removing the feature and reinstalling using powershell worked..

I now have the tools,  synced and powershell is showing the feature installed. 

Very Helpful 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/04/15/installing-wsus-on-windows-server-2012/

Took a while but worked.. 

Also need to no what caused it as there was a update and a 1706 update that reported a successfully install but some how messed with WSUS..

Cheers

Jeff

• Marked as answer by fatbrain.co.uk Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:43 PM