locked
Error=Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor RRS feed

  • Question

  • So I have 4 servers in my SharePoint Farm. 

    Front End, Indexing Server, SharePoint Fast Server, and SQL Server.  

    I noticed having issues when my SharePoint Index server was filling up with logs.  

    Below is a sample of the errors.  

       

    Failed to connect to SharePointFast.lwginc.com:13391 sp. Error=Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor  [documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp:132]  d:\office\source\search\native\gather\plugins\contentpi\documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp
    10/12/2012 11:53:19.77 mssearch.exe (0x1018)                   0x0AAC SharePoint Server Search       Content Plugin                 dtz8 Medium   Failed to connect to SharePointFast.lwginc.com:13391. Attempt 13. Will wait for 60s before trying again.  [documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp:185]  d:\office\source\search\native\gather\plugins\contentpi\documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp
    10/12/2012 11:53:19.77 mssearch.exe (0x1018)                   0x0D00 SharePoint Server Search       Content Plugin                 dtz5 High     Failed to connect to SharePointFast.lwginc.com:13391 sp. Error=Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor  [documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp:132]  d:\office\source\search\native\gather\plugins\contentpi\documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp
    10/12/2012 11:53:19.77 mssearch.exe (0x1018)                   0x0D00 SharePoint Server Search       Content Plugin                 dtz8 Medium   Failed to connect to SharePointFast.lwginc.com:13391. Attempt 13. Will wait for 60s before trying again.  [documentsubmi

    So I ran through the guides on checking my SSL Certificate sure enough it expired back in June!!  

    I followed the directions below to a T and they worked the certificate was properly updated on my index server and front end server.  However, I am still getting these errors.  So I investigated further and found out that the content distributor cfg file was using the wrong port it was using sharepointfast.lwginc.com:13390 instead of :13391, so I changed and saved and rebooted everything.  Everytime I issue a new cert though it changes back to port 13390 so I just keep changing it.  

    The problem is I am still getting those exact same errors I have been working on it for 7 days straight, and very frustrated.  

    Here is my Output

    Certificate Import

    SSA Info

    The fix is to generate and deploy new self-signed certificate and this can be achieved with the following steps:
    On the FAST Server, make sure the FAST Search for SharePoint & FAST Search for SharePoint Monitoring windows services are stopped.
    Open the Microsoft FAST Search Server for 2010 for SharePoint PowerShell on the FAST server as an Administrator.
    Navigate to the FAST directory (i.e. <FASTSearchFolder>\installer\scripts)
    Run the following command: .\ReplaceDefaultCertificate.ps1 -generateNewCertificate $true
    You may be asked to enter a password. Type a password and hit <enter>. Note - Keep this password handy, as it will be required in a later step.
    This will generate a new certificate, valid for one year in the following folder: <FASTSearchFolder>\data\data_security\cert\FASTSearchCert.pfx
    This certificate will need to be copied to the SharePoint server (if SharePoint is not hosted on the same server as FAST).
    Similarly copy the <FASTSearchFolder>\installer\scripts\SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 script from the FAST server to the Sharepoint Server (if SharePoint is not hosted on the same server as FAST).
    Start the FAST Search for SharePoint & FAST Search for SharePoint Monitoring  windows services.
    Now the certificate needs to be loaded on the SharePoint server.
    On the SharePoint Server, Start –> All Programs –> Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products –> right click on SharePoint 2010 Management Shell and Run as administrator.
    Navigate to the location where the SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 script (this script may need to be copied from the FAST server as mentioned in step 7) exist.
    Run the following command (userName should reflect the details of the user running the SharePoint Server Search 14 (OSearch14) windows service): .\SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 –certPath “path of the certificate\FASTSearchCert.pfx” –ssaName “name of your content SSA” –username “domain\username”
    You may be asked to enter a password. Please enter the password from step 5 and hit <enter>. Your powershell command prompt should look like this.
    Assuming there were no errors when running the PowerShell scripts the SharePoint server certificate has been deployed and will be valid for another year. The content sources should begin working normally again and crawls should complete succeesfully.





    • Edited by pslager Friday, October 12, 2012 5:08 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

  • I fixed this on my own I changed the account that imports the certificate to a different one sp_search and that worked.  
    • Marked as answer by pslager Friday, October 12, 2012 5:50 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:50 PM