Alert when user sends lots of emails in short time. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I'm new to Exchange 2016 and wanted to if there is a way to configure alerts, to notify admins when a user sends a lot of emails in a short period of time (minutes).

I know it does not make a lot of sense, but still I want to know if there is a way or not.

If it helps, we also use SCOM 2012 (Maybe it could be achievable by combining the 2 solutions).

Thanks!

Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per my experience, from Exchange side, we could use the throttling policy to specifies the number of messages per minute that can be submitted, then assign it to a user.

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name LimitMessagesSent  -MessageRateLimit "<number>"
    Set-Mailbox -Identity "<mailboxname>" -ThrottlingPolicy LimitMessagesSent

Then we may find a way to generate an alert from SCOM if the message number exceed the specified limit.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 8, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Manu, the request was for an alert, not a restriction. Agustin, please let us know if this is not the case.

In any event, Exchange does not have any built-in ability to send alerts based on your scenario. Instead, you'd want to run a powershell script on a schedule that counts up messages and sends an email when a threshold is reached.

Office 365 can do this with Cloud App Security BTW. That product has some on-premises reach as well, but I've not tried it with this scenario.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:49 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:20 AM