Database Replication RRS feed

• Question

• General question from an end user:

One of our departments has a customized SharePoint (2010) system that is very well protected in the sense that it any changes to it are usually denied in the fear that it will shut down.  It is due for a 2013 upgrade any day now.

My department's SharePoint (2010) site is hosted on a completely different server from the one mentioned above.

In an effort to improve efficiency, I would like to somehow import a subset on information from their database into mine, but without making changes to their system.

I thought that maybe some type of replication would be the answer, but I'm being told that would require setting up a new library on their system.  Unfortunately, such a change would not be approved.

I'm not a DBA or programmer, not even in IT, but I get the feeling that there are other options we are not exploring.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:04 AM

Answers

• You can't do what you want to do. You can either replicate the entire database via Database Mirroring, Log Shipping, or AlwaysOn, but not individual components (Site Collection, Web, List, etc.) within that database. Merge replication et. al. are unsupported. There are 3rd party content replication (one-way or two-way), but those generally implement unsupported functions into the farm, as well.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:33 AM

All replies

• please have a look of below article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/aa337437.aspx

Best Regards, Sandeep Poonia

• Edited by S-K_P Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:14 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:11 AM
  • You can't do what you want to do. You can either replicate the entire database via Database Mirroring, Log Shipping, or AlwaysOn, but not individual components (Site Collection, Web, List, etc.) within that database. Merge replication et. al. are unsupported. There are 3rd party content replication (one-way or two-way), but those generally implement unsupported functions into the farm, as well.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:33 AM