none
Volume backup fails with system cannot find the path specified error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Another DPM error. We're backing up several volumes of a server, but the backup fails with the following error:

DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{d5aa411e-0924-11e5-80b5-44a842037726}\Folder\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\ on <server_FQDN> (ID 2033 Details: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003)). (actual folder names replaced with 'FolderX').

This is not an uncommon error, but we can usually solve it by running a CC job or in extreme cases deleting the backups and recreating them.

This time, nothing works:

- the error is always reporting the same path

- the path exists, contains files and has correct/standard NTFS permissions and is normally accessible

- the disk has no apparent issues (scanned by chkdsk)

- there are other disks (volumes) being backed up on the same server, those are backed up successfully

I've tried:

- rerunning the backup jobs

- CC jobs

- deleting the backup and recreate from scratch - this fails with the same error and we're now with no backup, since the job always fails

- restarting DPM agent on the protected server

- cleaning temp folder of the DPM agent

- checking VSS writers - all fine

Any ideas how to fix this or troubleshoot further?

Btw the volume GUID reported in the error doesn't match the volume that is being backed up - I assume the ID is of the shadow copy volume that exists only during the duration of the backup job?

DPM 2016 UR8

• Edited by MarkosP Friday, February 7, 2020 3:18 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2020 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM shouldn't have a problem backing up more than 3 million files (I've seen it been done many times), did you have a look at the DPM logs for any more clues?

From quickly researching this error, it appears that many have had the "MTA" folder missing under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp\" on the protected computer, did you have a look?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:59 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2020 9:28 PM

All replies

• My (long time) speculation is that DPM can't handle volumes with "high" file count, this particular volume currently has >3M files, but it was even larger in the past.

Monday, February 10, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

DPM shouldn't have a problem backing up more than 3 million files (I've seen it been done many times), did you have a look at the DPM logs for any more clues?

From quickly researching this error, it appears that many have had the "MTA" folder missing under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp\" on the protected computer, did you have a look?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:59 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2020 9:28 PM
  • That seems to have been the culprit, the MTA folder was missing, once I created it, the job went through. Apparently DPM creates a temporary file in this folder when it can't fit list of files to be backed up into memory:

Number of files enumerated reached the in-memory maximum. Hence a temporary file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp\MTA\__enum{004899B8-2BF9-4AFC-BFC2-1ADD4A8DAC51} will be used to store the the find-data of enumerated files

The job is still running, but it's transferring data, which wasn't hapenning before.

What I can't believe is that DPM can't simply create the folder when it's missing, that's hilarious (in a bad way).

Anyway, thanks for the tip Leon.

Btw, DPM error log didn't complain about this when the folder was missing (or I have overlooked it)

Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:59 PM