How do I set up keyboard shortcuts without maintaining an associated icon on the desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• I always preferred the classic start menu to the alternatives offered in XP and Vista.  Now that that option's been taken away, I'm trying to learn to live with the Windows 7 menu.  In the classic menu, I could start my most frequently used software by pressing Windows-<letter>.  I can't do this any more because there appears to be no way (other than disabling search altogether) to stop the search box grabbing focus as the start menu opens. 

To compensate for this loss of convenience, I've created lots of ctrl-alt<letter>  shortcuts for those documents and applications I formerly had on my start menu.  This works, but I've now got lots of shortcut icons cluttering my desktop.  I'd like to get rid of the icons, but keep the keyboard shortcuts.  So far I've discovered that:

1. if I move the shortcut icons to another folder, the keyboard shortcuts no longer work.
    2. if I pin a shortcut to the start menu (incidentally - and infuriatingly, you have to press shift and right-click to pin an non-application to the start menu - Why?) then if I delete the shortcut on the desktop, the shortcut on the Start Menu no longer works (presumably because this is a pointer to a pointer rather than a duplicate pointer).
    3. if I navigate to the folder containing the target document, then right-click or shift-right-click as necessary and pin it to the Start Menu, then the pin properties don't offer the option to create a keyboard shortcut.  It seems that pins are like shortcuts, but specially enfeebled.
    4. if I open an administrator prompt and move shortcuts from  %UserProfile%\Desktop to %UserProfile%\Start Menu then again the keyboard shortcuts stop working.

Is there any way to achieve what I'm looking for?

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi

if you prefer to use classic start menu, you can use the third party software, called CSMenu.

http://www.csmenu.com/

CSMenu is a little application which acts like the classic start menu.
    it hes been designed for windows 7 .

Note : we provide third party links for your convenience it may change any time without notice, Microsoft does not  give guaranty on these sites.

hope it helps
    Nikhil
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Thanks, Nikhil,

I don't really want to return to the classic menu having invested so much effort in getting used to the foibles of the new one.

I think maybe I'm going to try and lean about keyboard hooks: then I'll be able to start my applications my own way. 

Though there's probably a simple solution that I've missed.

Thanks again,

Tim.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Though there's probably a simple solution that I've missed.

Such as desktop right-click | view|hide all desktop icons, which doesn't disable keyboard shortcuts, and will do for now.

Friday, November 27, 2009 6:12 PM
  • You can attach shortcut keys to any shortcut in the start menu, they don't have to be on the desktop. Right-click the menu item, choose properties, and set the shortcut as you would have done before. hth
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:26 PM