Problems after installing June Windows updates RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody have had problems logging onto Windows 7 after June 2016 Windows Updates?

In my network, all the computer look for their desktop, my documents, etc on a server. After the Windows updates, they cannot logon, because they cannot reach the server. My workaround has been:

• Logging on as local administrator
    • Make sure that I can reach any file shared on the server via \\<server name>
    • Change to 1 minute the time that Windows 7 take to check whether a network folder is online or offline.

I am wondering  which Windows Update could have cause these problems.

Thansk

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:07 PM

Answers

• Does anybody have had problems logging onto Windows 7 after June 2016 Windows Updates?

In my network, all the computer look for their desktop, my documents, etc on a server. After the Windows updates, they cannot logon, because they cannot reach the server. My workaround has been:

• Change to 1 minute the time that Windows 7 take to check whether a network folder is online or offline.

Thansk

we got the same problem at almost hundred windows 7 hosts.

also we are unable to logon with local admin account because of RPC server unavailable.

all those boxes are rebooting just from welcome screen during 1-3 minutes after startup.

8.1 and above are not affected.

workaround - "last know good" boot.

searching for next one MS "easter egg" =(

-=C U=-

Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:47 AM

All replies

• Try uninstall KB3161949. This update causes file shares to become unavailable.
    • Edited by NightRyder1 Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:30 PM
  • Hi Bronzen,

The June update under Windows 7 should be the one mentioned by NightRyder1, you may take a try to uninstall it to check out.

Further, if the system has been configured with system protection, you could take use of Restore point to restore back to an earlier state.

Regarding Windows update, take a look at the Windowsupdate.log, open run box, then type Windowsupdate.log, then press enter, it will open it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/902093

In addition, please also take a look at the Event Viewer, as the network can't find the server, there should be records logged when failed the logon.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:13 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:37 AM

Thansk

we got the same problem at almost hundred windows 7 hosts.

also we are unable to logon with local admin account because of RPC server unavailable.

all those boxes are rebooting just from welcome screen during 1-3 minutes after startup.

8.1 and above are not affected.

workaround - "last know good" boot.

searching for next one MS "easter egg" =(

-=C U=-

Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hi Bronzen,

Any update on this topic?

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:57 AM