none
Upgrading SCOM from 2012 to 2016

Question

• Hello,

I got few PowerShell scripts online to export overrides to CSV/HTML/XML files in SCOM 2012 environment. However I was looking if there was anyway to import these files into new SCOM 2016. Is it possible? Can you please help me with this?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hey,

I think there's some confusion in your question. let me see if I can clear it up for you -

1. In side-by-side upgrade you essentially set up a new MG and transfer your custom MP's to the new MG from old MG. In this path you're not "losing any override data" as all the overrides are saved in these MP's that also get transferred to your new MG. Most overrides will take effect once they're imported in the new MG - assuming you're replicating the old MG config as it is (such as groups).  However, you DO lose historical data from your DW database.

2. For exporting Management Packs you can use this cmdlet:

Export-SCOMManagementPack
    Use this cmd to migrate all your custom (unsealed) MP's. You need to import the sealed MP's first like you did in the old MG.

Refer here:
    My SCOM 2016 side-by-side upgrade experience

Hope this helps, please feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:37 AM
  • for side-by-side migration from SCOM 2012 to SCOM 2016, you cannot enjoy the benefit of maintain historial data and also there is no simple method to guarantee the override can import from old system into upgrade system successfully. The reason is that

1.  you override in SCOM 2012 may apply to group which does not exist in new SCOM 2016
    2.  override in SCOM 2012 may apply to particular instance of which has different ID in new system
    you may refer Andreas Zuckerhut blog on "SCOM 2012 RC – Side-by-Side Migration Phase 4 – Importing unsealed Management Packs ", it will provide some guide on how to import override from old system into new ones.
    http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-4-importing-unsealed-management-packs/

Roger
    • Marked as answer by alarconIsco Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:15 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:11 AM

All replies

• what is your upgrade path from SCOM 2012 to 2016? If you choose in-place upgrade, the override is automatic carry from SCOM 2012 to SCOM 2016. However, the side-by-side upgrade cannot enjoy this benefit. It is because override may apply to specific group or instance which has different id in SCOM 2016. As a result, it is useless to import SCOM 2012 override to SCOM 2016 system.
    Roger

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:38 AM
  • Hi Alarconlsco,

Please refer to the links below:

OpsMgr: Saved some overrides to Default Management Pack, didn’t you? – It’s simple to move them!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/pfelatam/2012/03/27/opsmgr-saved-some-overrides-to-default-management-pack-didnt-you-its-simple-to-move-them/

OpsMgr – How to move an override

https://nocentdocent.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/opsmgr-how-to-move-an-override/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:54 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. The Upgrade path is an in-place upgrade. What about the historical data which was available on old SCOM 2012? Do we get the entire historical data after the upgrade process as well? Please let me know. Thanks

• Edited by alarconIsco Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:24 PM
  • with an inpalce upgrade yes, you keep everything
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:32 PM
  • Is there any script/tool to validate that we have the same historical data?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Not that I know of, but there is no point in that since you keep the same database...
    • Edited by CyrAz Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:06 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:05 PM
  • My apologies, it's not an in place upgrade but it's a side by side upgrade. So there isn't any tool/script/process to migrate overrides to SCOM 2016 without any data loss? Please let me know. Thanks
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Hey,

I think there's some confusion in your question. let me see if I can clear it up for you -

1. In side-by-side upgrade you essentially set up a new MG and transfer your custom MP's to the new MG from old MG. In this path you're not "losing any override data" as all the overrides are saved in these MP's that also get transferred to your new MG. Most overrides will take effect once they're imported in the new MG - assuming you're replicating the old MG config as it is (such as groups).  However, you DO lose historical data from your DW database.

2. For exporting Management Packs you can use this cmdlet:

Export-SCOMManagementPack
    Use this cmd to migrate all your custom (unsealed) MP's. You need to import the sealed MP's first like you did in the old MG.

Refer here:
    My SCOM 2016 side-by-side upgrade experience

Hope this helps, please feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:37 AM
  • My apologies, it's not an in place upgrade but it's a side by side upgrade. So there isn't any tool/script/process to migrate overrides to SCOM 2016 without any data loss? Please let me know. Thanks

hmmm... mean to say you are creating a new SCOM environment. Then you will not get data till the time when you are in upgrade process or historical as well As we are setting up a new BD and DW. Just install new SCOM with 2016 version and multihome all the agents once you are done with multi homing just delete the agent from older SCOM from Administrator tab (This deletion process will stop communication from SCOM older SCOM to agent). 

And one more thing just export all the MPs in a folder and you can import them into new SCOM to replicate same. Before doing this just make sure to install first all their dependency MPs. And do create a SCOM report for all required data and save it in a safe place for future use.  

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:44 AM
  • for side-by-side migration from SCOM 2012 to SCOM 2016, you cannot enjoy the benefit of maintain historial data and also there is no simple method to guarantee the override can import from old system into upgrade system successfully. The reason is that

1.  you override in SCOM 2012 may apply to group which does not exist in new SCOM 2016
    2.  override in SCOM 2012 may apply to particular instance of which has different ID in new system
    you may refer Andreas Zuckerhut blog on "SCOM 2012 RC – Side-by-Side Migration Phase 4 – Importing unsealed Management Packs ", it will provide some guide on how to import override from old system into new ones.
    http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-4-importing-unsealed-management-packs/

Roger
    • Marked as answer by alarconIsco Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:15 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:11 AM
  • Before decommissioning the old SCOM environment in side-by-side upgrade, , if I add/remove an agent to/from new SCOM environment, will it be replicated on old SCOM environment as well? Please let me know.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Before decommissioning the old SCOM environment in side-by-side upgrade, , if I add/remove an agent to/from new SCOM environment, will it be replicated on old SCOM environment as well? Please let me know.

Hey,

No it won't. You can check in the Agent properties on the agent server locally in control panel, you'll see there are 2 entries for two Management Groups - new and old (independent of each other).

Also, please see links here for further reading:

Transfering management packs from scom 2012 towards 2016 best practices

Exporting and importing non-sealed MPs to another environment

Overrides in Side by Side Migration

Migrating Management Packs with Dependencies from SCOM 2007 R2 to SCOM 2012 R2

Process to move management packs between environments in OpsMgr

Hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you still have questions.

Cheers

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:44 AM