none
Skype for business music on hold not working for everyone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have set up across our organisation to have Music on Hold on all the client policies we have set in Skype, I have found that it is a bit intermittent as to who it actually has affected as some of our users have the music playing and some users don't currently its set to be the defaulthold.wma without hardcoding it to look there as we have a mix of people on 64-bit and 32-bit Office so its defaultly set to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MEDIA\DefaultHold.wma" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MEDIA\DefaultHold.wma". Does anyone have any idea why it is not working for everyone?

Thanks,

Luke

P.S. upon trying out different hold options I have found that muting the mic will mute the music as well.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Luke,

Do you mean music on hold is not enabled for someone though you have set the organization policy?

In my understanding, this feature is for Enterprise Voice enabled users.

First try to log off and re-login onto the Lync client to see if the feature is on.

Or you could copy the file to another location and create a new client policy to do a test to see if it works.

Here is a good blog you could refer to:

https://ucken.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-on-hold-for-lync-clients.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:17 AM
  • So upon testing it, it was playing the music for some users but others it would not, there was a user that had no music playing and 10 minutes later we tested it again and it was working for him, but that hasn't been the case with everyone that is not able to play the music.
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi Luke,

Please refer to this related blog to have a try to modify the MOH file location, and check if it helps.

https://blog.valeconsulting.co.uk/2015/07/10/skype-for-business-music-on-hold-moh-not-playing/

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Hi Shaw,

Unfortunately like I said in the original post that we couldn't set the policy to specify the hold music location as some users are on 32-bit office and some on 64-bit (we are in the process of getting that sorted but will be a while before that is done completely)

Thanks,

Luke

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Hi Luke,

You don’t need to change the location for all the organization now, I think just manually change the location in the Skype for Business client side for some affected users, and do a test.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hi Shaw,

Apologies for the delay in responding, it doesn't seem to have worked, at least not for everyone.

Thanks,

Luke

Monday, July 8, 2019 10:28 AM