none
how to change existing column type numeric to Text in project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have done migration from EPm2007 to EPM2010.

In EPM2007, custom enterprise fields number type not take comma, but after migration to
    EPM2010,same enterprise filed has show comma in existing column, so requirement
    is no need to show comma in customs fields ,kindly suggest me.if I remove same
    one and create same name with new type as text. Can existing column was replace
    with new one. any data lose and redundancy is possible in project server 2010 or
    how to change existing  column type numeric to Text in project server 2010.

Hasan Jamal Siddiqui(MCTS,MCPD,ITIL@V3),Share Point Application Developer,TCS

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hello Hasan,

Unfortunately you cant change the type of any existing custom field, and if you will remove the custom field result you loose of data as well. and also there is no way OOB ways to copy the one custom field data to another custom field. 

so it seems like you are only left with manualy updating of new custom field with the old custom field values and then publish all the projects. you can also try Bulk Edit tool of solution starter in this case to do update custom fields simultaneously: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Hasan,

Unfortunately you cant change the type of any existing custom field, and if you will remove the custom field result you loose of data as well. and also there is no way OOB ways to copy the one custom field data to another custom field. 

so it seems like you are only left with manualy updating of new custom field with the old custom field values and then publish all the projects. you can also try Bulk Edit tool of solution starter in this case to do update custom fields simultaneously: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

hope this helps.

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Thanks Khurram for help ful information,

But here i need to deleverd that cutome fileds with out comma,so measn it is not possible in Project srever 2010.

Can have any other way i can hide this columns and create new for new projects.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Hello Hasan,

you can create new EPT for your upcoming OR new project, and include this new custom field to this new EPT by adding it to any of the associated PDP of that EPT.  remove this old custom field from PDPs, this is how you can hide this old field from users.

thanks.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Ok Jamshed,

So means its not possible in this scenario,when i will makeing new EPT then tacke care other things.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:51 AM