Skype for Business Server 2015 Minimum hw requirements question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm referencing the article here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/requirements-for-your-environment/server-requirements#Hardware

Windows Server 2012 R2.

I'll be in an environment where there shouldn't be more than 5 connections at the same time.

What would the minimum hardware requirements needed to support that?  

Is having 4-8 HDD really necessary? If so, please elaborate on what RAID is necessary.

Would 16GB RAM be sufficient?

Would an Intel i7 7th gen be sufficient?

I'll be running a low traffic SharePoint 2013 foundation installation alongside Skype as well.

Thanks!

• Edited by Susan_773 Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:53 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding to the hardware conditions you mentioned, actually it depends on your specific scope of SFB needs in your organization.

But to be in a safe side, we recommend preparing the hardware as the following requirements for Front End Servers, Back End Servers, Standard Edition servers, and Persistent Chat Servers:

For more details, please refer to the official documentation for the environment of requirement on SFB server 2015.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/requirements-for-your-environment/server-requirements

We suggest you install Skype for Business server 2015 planning tool first. It is a wizard driven that allows administrators to more or less get a look at what their potential SFB server 2015 deployment could look like that you are designing.

You could refer to the following article regarding the planning tool: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/management-tools/planning-tool/planning-tool

By the way, if you are wondering the environment requirement on SharePoint 2013 foundation installation,  please open a thread in SP forum for the answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:42 AM
  • I wasn't asking about SharePoint specifically, just saying it will exist on the same server in case of compatibility issues.

I'm building a server specifically for those 2 programs and don't have a big budget.  It won't be used constantly and will only have individual calls between users or a conference call of no more than 10 users.

Looking at a Supermicro motherboard with a max of DDR3 1600mhz 32GB unbuffered ECC RAM and an intel i7 4th generation CPU.

For the number of HDD, is that for redundancy and/or QoS or does Skype need all of them to function? 

I know 10000 RPM drives are recommended but will there be a large performance drop using 7200 RPM drives?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 23, 2018 4:31 PM
  • Hi Susan,

First of all, please do not install SharePoint server allocate with SFB server in same server, it is not supported. Simultaneously, please do not install SFB with DC in same server.

How many users will home in the SFB server?

For the number of HDD, is that for redundancy and/or QoS or does Skype need all of them to function? 

For redundancy, In order to replace expensive large disks with multiple inexpensive small disks, the cost is reduced. And it can protect your data.

I know 10000 RPM drives are recommended but will there be a large performance drop using 7200 RPM drives?

Yes, you could do that.

Did you consider to use O365 for your organization? If less than 500 users, I suggest you to use 0365 for your environment.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, August 24, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

Could you please provide documentation on the problems that will be caused by having SP and Skype on the same server?  I wasn't planning on integrating SP and Skype, just having them run on the same server since neither can run on a DC and this will be my only non-DC server.

So the processor I listed earlier will be sufficient?

Just wanted to make sure on the # of HDD.  I don't have a big budget to build this server and that is $1000+ for just HDD.

Sunday, August 26, 2018 2:37 PM
  • You could see this blogs, you cannot install them in same server, you cannot pass the prepare the schema when you deploy the Lync or SFB server.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/calvarro/2012/04/15/lync-server-2010-and-sharepoint-on-the-same-server-not-supported/

If you do not enough budget, I suggest you buy O365 license based on the number of people in your organization.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

Based on the amount of users I mentioned before, will 4 7200 1TB HDD in a RAID 10 be sufficient?

How much of the recommended hardware will be actively used by Skype at any time?

Now looking at deploying Hyper-V along side Skype with a SharePoint virtual server.

I have a stone knives and bear skin budget here so I just need something that will run well with a few users.

• Edited by Susan_773 Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:33 PM