SSAS as actual and SharePoint as goal in KPI? RRS feed

• Question

• I want a KPI that souces its "actual" data from SSAS and its "goal" data from SharePoint. The catch is that my SharePoint list data is dimensionalized by things like "Vendor" and "Product" that also exist in the cube. Is it possible to somehow map the SharePoint list "dimension" to the SSAS dimension so that if I were filtering my scorecard both the actual and goal would display the correct value?

Thanks,
    Todd

Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:48 AM

All replies

• Just as a follow up to my own post. I determined that if you place dimensions from your tabular data source (e.g. SharePoint) on your scorecard, and you have, for example, an SSAS measure as your actual and your SharePoint metric as a goal, that the SharePoint "dimension" member will be passed to SSAS in an MDX query.

So if you have a SharePoint dimension named the exact same as a dimension in your cube and it has members named the exact same way, you will get valid data back from SSAS. Be aware that the dimensions that are passed to SharePoint are not in the standard [Dimension Name].[Hierarchy Name].&[Member Key] format. Rather, it is passed like [Dimension Name].[Member Label]. So again, you'd have to structure your SharePoint data so that you will be assured to match your cube.

Has anyone else taken this approach? Anyone from MS or otherwise advise against this?

While not perfect, it seems like a workable solution. If you are interested in doing this, I would first read this great whitepaper ("PERFORMANCEPOINT SERVER MONITORING: USING SHAREPOINT CUSTOM LISTS AS A DATA SOURCE") by Patrick Husting: http://performancepointinsider.com/files/PerformancePointServerMonitoringusingSPSasaDataSource.pdf
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:07 AM
  • I am happy that you found a workaround, you are the first person that I have encountered that has been able to successfully apply dimensionality across different data sources.  My only concern is that because this is not a scenario we test, we could potentially break this along the way - I hope not but I do think it is a possibility.  For now though, I would go with this.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Thanks Alyson. Unfortunately, another requirement caused me to have to move my goal data into the cube anyway, but I am glad to have this in my hip pocket now.

Will anything in vNext support this scenario? Or will Gemini help here?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:10 PM