none
Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Question

• I upgraded Office 2007 to 2010 and found out that I am no longer able to view/print any of my multi-page tiff documents scanned with standard Mircrosoft MODI 2007. The old MODI libraries were removed by the installer and the new office version seems not to have such option in the Shared Tools.
    Will MODI be included in the final version of the office 2010?

Thanks
    • Moved by Alicia CalesMicrosoft employee Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:41 PM Forums Consolidation (From:Microsoft Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Everyone,

Please see this resolution:

How to install MODI by installing SharePoint Designer 2007  

Another way to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging for use with Microsoft Office 2010 is to install Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007. SharePoint Designer 2007 is provided as a free download from the Microsoft website. Microsoft Office Document Imaging is included with the SharePoint Designer 2007 installation package as part of the Office Tools.

To install SharePoint Designer 2007, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=baa3ad86-bfc1-4bd4-9812-d9e710d44f42

How to include MODI in a SharePoint Designer 2007 installation

1.       Run the SharePointDesigner.exe from the link in the article. Or, download this file, and then double-click it.

2.       Review and then accept the software license.

3.       Click Customize to open the installation options.

4.       Expand the Office Tools tree to see the Microsoft Office Document Imaging option.

5.       Click the down arrow for the Microsoft Office Document Imaging option, and then select Run all from My Computer to include all of MODI in the SharePoint Designer installation.

6.       Click Install Now.

Enterprise customers who are installing SharePoint Designer 2007 do not have to worry about licensing.

The MSOCache footprint is much smaller than that of the Office 2007 suite, which ranges from 500 MB to 900 MB, depending on SKU. The SharePoint Designer footprint is about 209 MB.

How to use the Office Customization Tool to make sure that only MODI is installed

To test SharePoint Designer and to use the OCT to lock down where no one can install the SP designer part of the software, follow these steps:

1.       Download the SharePoint Designer 2007. To do this, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=BAA3AD86-BFC1-4BD4-9812-D9E710D44F42&displaylang=en

By doing this, you may create an Office customization tool (OCT). You must download the main .exe file, SharePointDesigner.exe, and then extract the files by using the command line. For example:

\\Servername\ShareName\SharePointDesigner2007_download\SharePointDesigner.exe /extract:\\servername\sharename\

This extracts the Setup.exe file, the Admin folder, and so on. After you do this, run the following to create the customizations:

\\Servername\ShareName\SharePointDesigner2007\setup.exe /admin

Within the OCT, go to Set feature installations state, and set everything except the MODI to not available.

2.       If SharePoint is used in your environment, only installing MODI files, Owssup.dll and MSO.dll can be affected by this custom installation. To prevent this, you need to unregister Name.dll. To do this, run the following command at a command line:

msiexec /I {90120000-0017-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} REMOVE=IMNFiles /qn /L*V C:\temp\loggingremoval.txt

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, July 08, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Hello, which Office 2010 application are you using to view/print tiff documents?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hello, which Office 2010 application are you using to view/print tiff documents?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:09 AM
  • You can use the 2007 MODI in 2010. Run the 2007 install disk and in custom go ahead and disable everything exept the MODI components in Tools then install, you can then use MODI again.
    • Proposed as answer by Thom Carr Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:09 AM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Is there no plan to have document imagin in Office 2010?  Is the solution to use an Office 2007 component?  Will this even be legal from a licensing perspective even if it technically works?
    Paul
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:23 AM
  • I continue to be surprised at Microsoft's lack of committment to the tools they develop.  I too found MODI to be the most useful tool for opening, rearranging, and saving multi-page tiff and used it since 2003 instead of pdf.  It is one thing to improve on an existing tool and quite another to drop it all together.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Is there no plan to have document imagin in Office 2010?  Is the solution to use an Office 2007 component?  Will this even be legal from a licensing perspective even if it technically works?
    Paul
    Bump,
    Legal or not?

DarkShadow
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I agree.  Why something that works very well has to be removed.  If there are security holes/concerns, fix them!  That is why customers pay for upgrades/maintenance.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Yes it is legal in regards to licensing.

Microsoft's Office licenses are backwards compatible and can be used for the equivalent Office product in an earlier version provided that you are fulfilling the rest of the agreement in regards to number of installations etc... The primary reason for this, as I understand it, is compatibility, and the obvious need for lost features.

Monday, July 19, 2010 5:25 PM
  • So is there a replacement for MODI ?

What is the recommended way of handling TIF files now ?

Should we install MODI 2007 on Office 2010 and hope it works with future releases of Office ? Or change to something new ?

Monday, August 02, 2010 11:55 AM
  • I have installed MODI as described above, but everytime I try to open a .tiff file with it, it says it is not a MODI file and won't open it.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I continue to be surprised at Microsoft's lack of committment to the tools they develop.  I too found MODI to be the most useful tool for opening, rearranging, and saving multi-page tiff and used it since 2003 instead of pdf.  It is one thing to improve on an existing tool and quite another to drop it all together.

I second this!  Microsoft have been pushing MODI since Office XP and I have scanned lots of files initially as .tif and then converted them using MODI to .mdi because they are much smaller than equivalent .tif or .pdf files.  Now I feel that Microsoft is removing MODI without proper consultation.  I have 2 questions please:

1. What does Microsoft recommend I now use to scan new files?  Is it XPS? If so, how can I convert the .tif, .pdf or .jpg files that my HP Office Jet printer scans to, to the new recommended format (XPS or other)?  Does the new format include OCR as an option like mdi did?

2. What does Microsoft recommend I do with the thousands of .mdi files I have produced since 2003? Is there an easy way to convert them to the format recommended in 1.?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:09 PM
  • You can use the 2007 MODI in 2010. Run the 2007 install disk and in custom go ahead and disable everything exept the MODI components in Tools then install, you can then use MODI again.

@blue-riff

This works, although strange things happen, because although you de-select(disable) everything except MODI, the installer will install full Office 2007 as the installation folder is about 800mb in size!

If there are any leads/shortcuts to an office 2007 application your 2010 installation is screwed, because the Ms Office 2007 installer will try to install all 'missing' parts.

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:11 AM
  • MODI is included in Office 2007, but it is not installed by default.  You can add it by going to Control panel, then Programs and Features (Add/Remove programs on XP).  Select Office 2007 and click change.  Then click add or remove features.  MODI is under the Office Tools section.  I just changed it to "Run all from my computer" and I now have the print driver again.

Hope this helps

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:34 PM
  • In case this can help, here is a KB Article with the alternative methods to regain the functionalities of Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI), http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Thanks, but this does not really answer the two questions I posed above:

1. What does Microsoft recommend I now use to scan new files?  Is it XPS? If so, how can I convert the .tif, .pdf or .jpg files that my HP Office Jet printer scans to, to the new recommended format (XPS or other)?  Does the new format include OCR as an option like mdi did?

2. What does Microsoft recommend I do with the thousands of .mdi files I have produced since 2003? Is there an easy way to convert them to the format recommended in 1.?

I have just made the following feedback comment on the page of the Knowledge Base (KB) article you linked to:

What format does Microsoft recommend their users now use for scanning documents into a format that they can add annotations to? Mdi files allowed you to do this, but the XPS format doesn't allow annotations.  Given that Microsoft has abandoned .mdi files in 2010(despite recommending them from 2003), it now looks as if the only suitable format to scan documents that might need annotating is to pdf , which is a pity because .mdi was better!

Friday, August 27, 2010 10:40 AM
  • I have followed the instructions in KB982760 and still have no MODI under tools.  I got a lot of Office 2007, including Tools, Word, etc, but no MODI.  I also tried, after the install, to go to Add/Remove and add it.  Still not there.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:48 PM
  • I followed the KB and installed the 2007 MODI app along side my Office 2010 install but it doesn't work. Upon selecting "Scan" it crashes. Selecting the option to search for a resolution with Microsoft results in nothing.

Sure liked the 2007 MODI app. I have a flatbed scanner (Espson CX7400) and need to frequently scan in multiple page documents. The 2007 MODI client allowed me to scan in all pages into one file. Current scan client installed with Windows 7 requires me to scan in each page as a seperate file then find a way to concatenate them all into one file, etc. Really not very user friendly...

Are there any freeware apps that will replace this functionality?

Any ideas?

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:59 PM
  • In my organization, we need to be able to take the multipage TIFF files from the fax folder our copier recieves to and edit (annotate) them with comments to send back to customers, via print-to-fax or email.

In Office 2007 and previous versions this was accomplished by "Microsoft Office Document Imaging".

In Office 2010, 'MODI' and annotation of a TIFF is gone! I can't find anything in the suite! 

Anybody have any replacement suggestions? For example Irfanview can annotate, however it's way too much application for the average user and there's only one undo.

Huge dissapaintment from Microsoft (no suggestions / no replacement)!

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:41 PM
  • I believe, in the past, it is called a feature where something useful is removed and either replaced with something useless or ntohing at all... so It's a feature :)

and yes i am dealing with this same issue... lovely huh gonna go the 2k7 route legal or not I must have this functionality and it's their fault for removing it. 

*Edit - I cannot see how it would be illegal if we are holding liscenses for both products... its not like your 2k7 liscens goes away when you buy 2k10.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I have installed Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine, and an running Office 2007. I use mdi files all of the time, and and am unable to print to mdi. What has replaced the microsoft image writer - the XPX document writer will not allow for manipulation of documents, and will not work for my needs. 

What do you suggest? - Jay 

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:36 PM
  • It looks like you'll have to install something like Irfanview to get multipage TIFF support.

Windows Fax and Scan will scan multipage TIFFs but will not allow you to delete blank pages.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Followed advice here to use OneNote. Apart from extremely clumsy and tedious, having to scan to image, etc., OneNote then made a proper botch of OCR, failing to handle type-written lower case. The result unusable.

I will have to resurrect an old XP box with Office 2K3 to do my bulk OCR. You know, like the old days.

Sigh!

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:31 AM
  • If you can run XP Mode you might be able to load it in a VM on your (guessing Win 7) box.

Cheers,  Rich

Friday, March 11, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Hello Rich. Thanks for tip. We're an XP shop running Office 2010 :0(  Still, it's an idea. Phil.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Use Microsoft One Note in 2010.  Here's the link with directions.  They just made it a lot easier.  Surprised no one every put this on this post.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Okay, I just tried OneNote 2010 for this. Not nice at all. Yes, if I need to get the text out of a TIFF I can get it that way, but it's not a nice way to handle multi-page TIFF documents.

And I just discovered that all of the OCR information from the hundreds of TIFF documents on my system was deleted from the index too, so I need to re-install the iFilter and then re-build the index. At least they've made the iFilter available for download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d220d961-5130-4279-b913-28b5f4be7a57

I hope it works properly on my Windows 7 x64 system. I know I had problems with the Adobe PDF iFilter at first.

What a pain.

Maybe I need to create some kind of script to find all the multi-page TIFFs and turn them into PDFs and re-OCR them in Acrobat. Not sure if that's possible or if I'm that smart though.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:17 PM
  • That download I linked above it just to a Word document that explains (badly) that you need to turn the TIFF iFilter off and then on again to re-enable indexing after installing Office 2010. Here is a section of that document:

To install Windows TIFF IFilter with Windows 7

1.   Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.

2.   Select the Windows TIFF IFilter check box.

3.   Click OK.

After you complete these steps, new TIFF image documents that are added to indexing locations will have their contents indexed. If there are already TIFF image documents in indexing locations, they won’t be indexed unless the user rebuilds the index as follows:

1.   Click Start, type Indexing Options in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.   Click Advanced, and then click Rebuild.

Note

Uninstalling Microsoft Office 2007 Indexing Service Filter removes associations between Windows TIFF IFilter (if installed) and TIFF extensions. To fix this, reinstall Windows TIFF IFilter.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I know it's a bit late, but I had this problem only now, and SOLVING it, I want to share my experience w all.

Comp Details - Win XP Home Ed. Vr 2002 32 bit SP3, Pentium 4.

I had - Office XP Small Business Ver 2002

Installed - Office 2010 Home & Students

It took the old Office Tools away, much to my dismay and chagrine, esp the good Scanning feature.

Solution:

- Uninstalling 2010

- Reinstalling Office 2002 Small Business (I did it via the "Customize" installation feature, NOT the automatic one, enabling the "Run all from computer" in every instance, not just in the first chief item, and disabling some features, like languages that i don't need and such, you will see shortly how to; this is not necessary if you don't mind running it again from the CD in case of need, it just makes it more comfortable in a future need instance; HOW TO - there is a menu little arrow at each feature that shows it when opened, you will see it right away there; it gives a possibility of disabling features that you don't need by checking the "Not available" item - right away a big red X is stamped on the item). I restarted the comp, making sure that the Office 2002 Small Business Office Tools appear in the Start menu.

- Reinstalling Office 2010 Home & Students. Again, I did it via the "Customize" installation feature, NOT the "Upgrading" one, enabling and disaling features according to my wish (see above how to), and so, the two programs reside side by side w/o interfering w one another.

- Et voila, all the old Office Tools are there, including the good old Microsoft Office Document Imaging, Scanning, Photo Editor, Recovery, and so on.

BTW, in my case, I installed only the Word and Power Point 2010 (again, via the Customize Installation feature, NOT the Upgrade one).

Reasons - I need only Word, really. If I buy it as the 2010 version standalone program, it costs more than the whole Office 2010 Home & Students pack. I couldn't care less for its Tools, so after installing them, i deleted most of them, about 3 out of the 5 present.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Dan Barkye Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:08 AM
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:07 AM
  • So here is my dilemma with this problem - I do not have access to any previous versions of the office software, I only have this 2010 version. We use the internal fax server that saves everything as a tif, so I need to be able to read the full fax document, not this blown up first page.

How do I solve this problem if I cannot move backwards?

Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:39 PM
  • how did microsoft think about removing this very useful feature, i would rather think this all MS's approach is a try to force customers to use something else which they don't want or not usefull at all.

does or will anyone from MS think about it and consider to make MODI integrated in office 2010 in some later updates, please?

Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Yes and what a time consumer to have to do that.
    Confused and needs to know more!!
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:27 AM
  • Thank you so much, I'm going to try it as I am devastated as well that it is not included with the new Office 2010. I have already installed it and I have Office Prof. 2002, but I'll give it a go as I use MODI all the time. Everyday.

But not to say I won't try using the new OneNote

Confused and needs to know more!!
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

Please see this resolution:

How to install MODI by installing SharePoint Designer 2007  

Another way to install Microsoft Office Document Imaging for use with Microsoft Office 2010 is to install Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007. SharePoint Designer 2007 is provided as a free download from the Microsoft website. Microsoft Office Document Imaging is included with the SharePoint Designer 2007 installation package as part of the Office Tools.

To install SharePoint Designer 2007, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=baa3ad86-bfc1-4bd4-9812-d9e710d44f42

How to include MODI in a SharePoint Designer 2007 installation

1.       Run the SharePointDesigner.exe from the link in the article. Or, download this file, and then double-click it.

2.       Review and then accept the software license.

3.       Click Customize to open the installation options.

4.       Expand the Office Tools tree to see the Microsoft Office Document Imaging option.

5.       Click the down arrow for the Microsoft Office Document Imaging option, and then select Run all from My Computer to include all of MODI in the SharePoint Designer installation.

6.       Click Install Now.

Enterprise customers who are installing SharePoint Designer 2007 do not have to worry about licensing.

The MSOCache footprint is much smaller than that of the Office 2007 suite, which ranges from 500 MB to 900 MB, depending on SKU. The SharePoint Designer footprint is about 209 MB.

How to use the Office Customization Tool to make sure that only MODI is installed

To test SharePoint Designer and to use the OCT to lock down where no one can install the SP designer part of the software, follow these steps:

1.       Download the SharePoint Designer 2007. To do this, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=BAA3AD86-BFC1-4BD4-9812-D9E710D44F42&displaylang=en

By doing this, you may create an Office customization tool (OCT). You must download the main .exe file, SharePointDesigner.exe, and then extract the files by using the command line. For example:

\\Servername\ShareName\SharePointDesigner2007_download\SharePointDesigner.exe /extract:\\servername\sharename\

This extracts the Setup.exe file, the Admin folder, and so on. After you do this, run the following to create the customizations:

\\Servername\ShareName\SharePointDesigner2007\setup.exe /admin

Within the OCT, go to Set feature installations state, and set everything except the MODI to not available.

2.       If SharePoint is used in your environment, only installing MODI files, Owssup.dll and MSO.dll can be affected by this custom installation. To prevent this, you need to unregister Name.dll. To do this, run the following command at a command line:

msiexec /I {90120000-0017-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} REMOVE=IMNFiles /qn /L*V C:\temp\loggingremoval.txt

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, July 08, 2011 8:56 PM
  • These solutions are fine if all you need to do is view the tiff or mdi files.  My problem is that I need to convert the notes only of a Powerpoint presentation to jpg files and can't do that without having the Microsoft Office Document Imaging as a printer so I can save the notes only as a mdi file, which I can then convert to individual jpg files.  If you do a save as and select the type jpg, you can get the slides as individual jpg, but there is no option to save the notes as jpg.  Since I am using a 64 bit machine, installing the MODI does not install it as a printer.   We currently are running a virtual xp machine, which I can use to open the presentation in 2003 Powerpoint and save the notes as mdi.  However, that adds one more step and time to my process.

Does anyone have a solution to saving the notes portion of a presentation seperate from the powerpoint presentation?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Use Microsoft One Note in 2010.  Here's the link with directions.  They just made it a lot easier.  Surprised no one every put this on this post.

THANKS!!! That worked perfectly for what we needed to do (we used MODI for extracting text from tiffs).
    • Proposed as answer by tsintsauming Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:17 AM
    Friday, September 02, 2011 3:14 PM
  • The SharePoint Designer 2007 worked great for me.  Thanks for the post!!!
    • Proposed as answer by tsintsauming Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tsintsauming Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:18 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:01 AM

THANKS!!! That worked perfectly for what we needed to do (we used MODI for extracting text from tiffs).

thanks..worked great for me also...
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:18 AM
  • I'm not sure the purpose of saving the notes as JPG files but there are plenty of ways to skin that cat, from

1. simply taking screen shots of the notes and saving those as JPGs

2. printing to PDF and saving pages as JPGs

3. use of the bazillion free image format printer utilities and print direct to JPG e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageprinter/

4. using the Journal Note Writer printer driver bundled with recent versions of Windows via the Windows Journal utility

5. paste the notes into PPT slides and save as JPG

• Edited by Thin Ice Monday, November 14, 2011 3:20 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, it worked, which is all  I really needed. Althought the 2003 version was much easier to use, and slightly easier to find. For both versions, you still have to make sure to edit, but with the  2010 one note thing, there is A LOT more editing to do, but it still gets the job done. Thanks again!
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:06 PM
  • I agree completely. It's very irritating to become accustomed to using a tool that Microsoft provides and then see it inadvertantly removed makes me wonder who makes those decisions and when they do, is there any research that is done across their customer base to determine the impact of such a decision. In other words, did they even attempt to reach out and ask the user community how they would feel about dropping the MODI tool? I doubt it!

Brett Zamora

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:08 PM
  • So, Here we are now 2013 and i am still not seeing an alternative for those running MSOffice 2010 (x64).  What is interesting is that we have a cannon ir7200 and with there Config tool we can see the scanner, we just can't get Win7 to see it.

Stephan Miske

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Okay, it's 2013 and Microsoft added an extra option! Yeah.

They added a convertor for your mdi files to tiff. I have no experience jet, with it, but it should also keep the OCR info.

It should be able to 'bulk' convert all your mdi files to Tiff.

I definitely will give it a try, because I don't want to take the risk that I won't be able to read all my mdi scanned documents over the passed 7 years(1000s) in the future!

Florisz, WHS, XP NL/EN SP3, Windows Media Center, Win7, Pocket Loox with 2003SE and Samsung SGH-i600 with WM 6.5

Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Just tried this but: Document Imaging part was marked as "not available"  Do you think Microsoft now removed it from file?

FFred3

• Proposed as answer by 2XComputers Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by 2XComputers Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 11:12 PM