none
Filter to see tasks of summaries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! 

I have multiple cars that are operated by multiple people, but they have tasks as cities they visit and districts as sub-tasks. I want to have filters to show these people, but with their respective tasks and subtasks. I want the search value to be based on the name of the driver. 

Example:

Car1

-Tim

--City1

---District1

--City2

-Jim

--City3

--City4

Car2

-Tim

--City2

--City4

By applying filter, I want to see this:

Car1

-Tim

--City1

---District1

--City2

Car2

-Tim

--City2

--City4

Can you please help me with that? I have tried filtering by value that contains "Tim", but it does not show the tasks and subtasks only a path to the person.

Thank you!

Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:44 PM

All replies

• ArnoldsK,

Instead of a filter, try using the Resource Usage view? Assuming you have laid out the file as cars (summary), then city (subtask under the summary) and then district (subtask under city, which will then become a level 2 summary), with drivers as resources assigned as appropriate, the Resource Usage view will show each driver and all their respective cars, cities and districts.

But, trying to get closer to what you request, start out with a re-structure of the file as shown below

Then create an interactive filter to more easily let you select a particular driver

Applying the above filter to the re-structured file gives this

Basically what you asked for

John

Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Hi, John! 

Thank you for the answer! But in this case working with Project 2016, that would mean that I need to assign the resources to every task, subtask and summary to view them? Because I tried to assign them to "Tim", but all I get is:

-Tim

-Tim

-Tim

meaning, that I don't see the summaries and categories they are in. 

Note, that my project is a lot more extensive, and I just used the small chart as an example.

It is still odd to me, that I cannot get the required result by just filtering the person's name and see the tasks under that summary. 

Thank you once again.

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:09 AM
  • ArnoldsK,

I thought your issue might be larger than a simple "Uber/Lyft plan". I also wondered why are you using Project as I don't see any scheduling, just a list of items (i.e. cars, drivers, cities) arranged in hierarchical order, and that could more easily be done with Excel.

Nonetheless, in your example, cars would ordinarily be considered resources but in your context, it looks like they are "cars for hire" which is more like a task, so that's okay. But, the drivers are resources and thus should be assigned to tasks (i.e. cars in which cities), not shown as tasks themselves. That's what I did in my mock-up of your example and if followed through with the filter I suggested, the end result is the filtered set you want. Why does that not work for you?

Perhaps a little more detail on your end goal would help to clarify the scenario so the most appropriate solutions can be found.

John

Monday, October 23, 2017 3:28 PM
  • ArnoldsK --

If you are using the Resource Usage view, you need to apply the Assignments Keeping Outline Structure group so that you can see the summary tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 23, 2017 4:37 PM