Offline USB Boot Media Deployment Behaves Differently Than Network Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I created a USB offline deployment of a task sequence that had been previously done via PXE boot and updated the settings

Several things are still different when run offline.

1.  It stops at MDT welcome screen.

2.  It stops to ask for a time zone to be set.

3.  It stops to ask if I want to join a wireless network.

4.  The display resolution is set at 1024x768 when the laptop is a 1366x768 wide screen.

5.  Part way through the deployment, AutoPlay stops and sees the USB drive in Windows and asks if I want to import pictures and also pops up an error box that says "Media not found" Please insert the media (CD, DVD or USB) needed to complete the deployment. 

After clicking through the autoplay wizard and clicking "OK" on the "media not found" message, it continues.

What changes need to be made to correct these issue?

• Edited by MyGposts Friday, November 7, 2014 12:58 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 12:44 AM

All replies

• By the way, I have this in the Media Properties Rules tab and it still has the issues:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    ApplyGPOPack=YES
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerName=No
    OSDComputerName=%SERIALNUMBER%-LOS
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceID=9470USB
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=En-US
    UserLocale=En-US
    UILanguage=En-US
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName="Pacific Standard Time"
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    [HP Elitebook Folio 9470m]
    BitsPerPel=32
    VRefresh=60
    XResolution=1366
    YResolution=768

• Edited by MyGposts Friday, November 7, 2014 2:04 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 2:03 AM
  • have you tried copying the customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini files  from E:\DeploymentShare\Control to E:\Media\Content\Deploy\Control and answer yes to the replace. (where E:\DeploymentShare is your deploymentshare...) and then right click on the Media and choose Update Media Content ?

as shown here..

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:03 AM
  • The initial wizard welcome screen is not a big problem. It would be nice to get rid of it, but it doesn't really hinder the deployment.  The MDT wizard itself does not ask me to enter time zone info.

The biggest problems are that during the task sequence, when the computer reboots after installing the OS, the OS stops and asks me to confirm the time zone and also if I want to join a wireless network. 

It also stops with an autoplay prompt asking what I should do when USB media is found.

With these issues, someone needs to babysit to the deployment to acknowledge the prompts or the deployment will never complete.

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:12 PM
  • I was able to get it fixed on my own

I had to alter the unattend.xml to skip wireless prompting

The time zone prompt was fixed by removing the quotes around "Pacific Standard Tme"

The welcome screen was disabled by adding skipbddwelcome to both customsettings.ini and boot.ini

The screen resolution was fixed by removing [model] before the resolution settings since priority at the top of customsettings.ini was set to default and this image is only being used from one model.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:19 PM