Problems runing assesment toolkit. RRS feed

• Question

• No matter what I try and run I get the following "inventory engine encountered a problem while gathering inventory information" Sometimes it sees the computers in AD starts its scan then the error pops up. Other times I just get the error.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers

• There's something missing between these two log entries:

<InventoryEngine 10:52:40>  Retry for persisting the WMI scan result (Node: 3047-02; Scan result: 4; Retry: 1; Wait time: 30 seconds)
    <UIConsole 10:52:57>  Operation Summary Details
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

I'll reply to you offline to get the whole file.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Jay,

I finally had some time to work on this and you were spot on.  I gave it another processor and more memory and all is good.  Thank you so much for the help.

Have a great weekend.

Chuck
    • Marked as answer by cer2225 Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:59 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• Your best bet is going to be to look in the log file at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution\bin\log\*.log

I would start from the bottom of the file and search up for "Exception".   If it's not obvious from that what's wrong, paste the relevant segment of the file here and we'll take a look.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

I will only post the end of the log as it is to long to post it all.  I would be happy to email it to you if you woudl like.  send me an email at cer2225@hotmail.com and I will reply with the attachment.

Thnaks for the help.

Chuck

<UIConsole 10:52:24> Error: WMI data collection failed while Collecting WMI data for device 3149-03.pycsd.org.

Error: 
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.16.124.28:135

StackTrace:    at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ExceptionClasses.ApplicationExceptionManager.HandleException(Exception exception, String resIdResolution, ExceptionSeverity exceptionSeverity, String resIdSubTask, String[] resSubTaskParameter)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ExceptionClasses.ApplicationExceptionManager.HandleException(Exception exception, ExceptionSeverity exceptionSeverity, String resIdSubTask, String[] resSubTaskParameter)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.WMICollector.GetNodeInfoCB(Object state, WMIInfoGatherer wmiInfoGatherer, Dictionary`2 namespaceList, String nodeScanResultStoreProcedure, String nodeScanResultTransaction)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.WMICollector.GetWMINodeInfoCB(Object state)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ThreadClasses.WaitQueueItem.Callback()
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.Collector.CollectCB(Object state)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ThreadClasses.WaitQueueItem.Callback()
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.InventoryEngine.ThreadPoolManager.ProcessQueuedItems(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)
       at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.CommonObjectLibrary.ExceptionClasses.ApplicationExceptionManager.LogExceptionDetails(ApplicationExceptionDetails appExcDetails)
      0   at Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.Logging.FlatFileSink.ERROR(String logString)
    <InventoryEngine 10:52:40>  Retry for persisting the WMI scan result (Node: 3121-01A; Scan result: 4; Retry: 1; Wait time: 30 seconds)
    <InventoryEngine 10:52:40>  Retry for persisting the WMI scan result (Node: 3048-05; Scan result: 4; Retry: 1; Wait time: 30 seconds)
    <InventoryEngine 10:52:40>  Retry for persisting the WMI scan result (Node: 3047-02; Scan result: 4; Retry: 1; Wait time: 30 seconds)
    <OperationSummary xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <SelectedDatabase>PYCSD</SelectedDatabase>
      <LogFile>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator\bin\log\Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.Console.log</LogFile>
      <InventorySummary>
        <MachineName>VMM</MachineName>
        <CollectionStatus Status="3" StatusDesc="FailedDueToIncompletePreviousRun" ErrorMessage="Stop the previous inventory execution." />
      </InventorySummary>
      <ComponentSummary>
        <name>• Device Compatibility Updates:</name>
        <SummaryList>
          <status>Completed</status>
          <message>No updates available at this time.</message>
        </SummaryList>
      </ComponentSummary>
    </OperationSummary>
    <UIConsole 10:52:57>  CurrentDBState: 'InvRunning'
    <UIConsole 10:53:00>  Unregister UI Instance Succeeded.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:04 AM
  • There's something missing between these two log entries:

I'll reply to you offline to get the whole file.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Jay,

I finally had some time to work on this and you were spot on.  I gave it another processor and more memory and all is good.  Thank you so much for the help.

Have a great weekend.

Chuck
    • Marked as answer by cer2225 Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:59 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:59 PM