No Sound in Quicken Program RRS feed

• Question

• Sounds from Quicken always worked before buying new Dell XPS 8100, with W7.  Qucken can't figure out why when I open this program NO SOUNDS.  DELL won''t tell me unless I pay them to fix.  I have RealTek with an "on board" sound system.  In the Control Panel, the Quicken sounds are there, when I brouse, go to the sounds, and hit "play", the dialog wave box opens and the sound plays,  Back to control panel, nothing!  When I insert a sound from the Quicken sounds in the drop down box, and hit "test"...nothing.  This is very frustrating.  All sounds work outside this program, CDs, DVDS, Itunes, etc.  Is this a RealTek problem?  How do I fix it?  Windows 7 seems to be the problem, because WXP...no problem with Quicken sounds.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• For your information, Moderator  Arthur Xie, I HAVE discussed this with Quicken, many times, and followed all of their suggestions, and they directed me to Microsoft, developer of Windows.  This problem has never happened until Windows 7.  So, somewhere in the Sounds system, there is no communication between this Sounds Control Panel whereby you used to be able to associate a sound with a program.  Now, only Window default sounds.  Therefore, seems the only solution is to get a different Sound Card because the "on board" sound system in this fancy DELL (they won't help either because it's a software problem, they say), does not seem to work with Quicken. 
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:03 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• What version of Quicken are you using? Is it certified as Windows 7 compatible by the publisher?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:26 PM
  • From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/no-sounds-in-quicken/534910a8-fe99-4e57-8371-63462886e834

If you use any sound scheme other than "Windows Default", there are no sounds assigned to Quick actions. If you want to use another sound scheme, you can assign sounds to the Quicken actions, then save the sound scheme with a different name. For instance, if you want to use the "Afternoon" sound scheme, assign the Quicken sounds and save the sound scheme as "Quicken Afternoon". You'll find the Quicken sounds in theC:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\Sounds folder.

Jerry

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I am using Quicken 2011, from a CD, which I ordered from Intuit.  I had previously used 2008 and NO SOUND there either when I installed it on my new computer in December 2010.  I went to the Web site for Microsoft and yes, it is compatible with W7.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Jerry, I did this previously and STILL when I "test" the sounds after assigning them to a new Scheme, Nothing!  As I am assigning them, they turn yellow, and when I open my Quicken Program, nothing.  I go back and check the Control Panel and the Quicken files are there, turned back to white, and do not play??  Not sure I am understanding HOW TO ASSIGN and SAVE? Am I using the sounds from Windows "Afternoon" and then saving and then re-assigning them from the Quicken Sounds folder???  I don't understand, sorry.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 11:21 PM
  • You’d better discuss this kind of topics in Quicken forums. I have found a support article which may help on this issue.

Sound Problems in Quicken
    http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/setting-up-quicken/2340.htmlv

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, April 1, 2011 9:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Silver76 Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:11 AM
  • For your information, Moderator  Arthur Xie, I HAVE discussed this with Quicken, many times, and followed all of their suggestions, and they directed me to Microsoft, developer of Windows.  This problem has never happened until Windows 7.  So, somewhere in the Sounds system, there is no communication between this Sounds Control Panel whereby you used to be able to associate a sound with a program.  Now, only Window default sounds.  Therefore, seems the only solution is to get a different Sound Card because the "on board" sound system in this fancy DELL (they won't help either because it's a software problem, they say), does not seem to work with Quicken. 
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:03 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:50 PM