none
How do I correctly set up a team lead role? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I've set up a 'Team Lead' Group to allow these "functional supervisors" read-access into their teams assignments. I created a security template for this role and have applied that to both the "My Resources" & "My Direct Reports" categories.

What I'm not clear on is how server knows who reports to whom but assumed this was driven through the RBS (which I've been working on).

If I'm correct about the RBS, how do I map the team lead for "Team A" correctly to the "Team A members" in it?  

Thanks in advance...

Shelleyb

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you are correct with RBS approach. Set up several levels in Lookup table RBS. E.g.

Company
        Business Unit A
            Department A
                Team A
                     Teammembers
                Team B
                     Teammembers
                Team C
                     Teammembers
            Department B
                Team D
                     Teammembers
                Team E
                     Teammembers
                Team F
                     Teammembers
        Business Unit B
            Department C
                Team G
                     Teammembers

Assign your team leads "Team x" and their team members the level "Teammembers" of appropriate Team node. This should give expected result.

Regards
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by Adrian Sauerbrey Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by shelleyb Monday, November 26, 2012 6:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by shelleyb Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by shelleyb Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:30 PM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you are correct with RBS approach. Set up several levels in Lookup table RBS. E.g.

Company
        Business Unit A
            Department A
                Team A
                     Teammembers
                Team B
                     Teammembers
                Team C
                     Teammembers
            Department B
                Team D
                     Teammembers
                Team E
                     Teammembers
                Team F
                     Teammembers
        Business Unit B
            Department C
                Team G
                     Teammembers

Assign your team leads "Team x" and their team members the level "Teammembers" of appropriate Team node. This should give expected result.

Regards
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by Adrian Sauerbrey Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by shelleyb Monday, November 26, 2012 6:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by shelleyb Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by shelleyb Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:30 PM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:37 AM
  • In addition to Barbara's excellent answer, please look at http://www.applepark.co.uk/team-assignments/ - I wrote this back in 2007 days, but it is applicable for 2010. 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Thanks, Ben. I have a further question for you now that I've read your post about the Enterprise codes. I'm not familiar with this and wondered if you had another post that explains that?

Shelleyb

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Hi Shelly,  go ahead and ask your question!

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:08 PM
  • I asked if you had another post that would explain Enterprise codes (& how to use them)...

Shelleyb

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Okay, no I don't - however their use is pretty simple, they can either be assocaited with Projects, Resources or Tasks, and can be of various data types (numberic, date, duration, text etc).  The values can be freely input, selected from a list (lookup table) or calculated from a formula.

they are generally used for grouping, sorting and filtering, but in the case the case formulas, can also be used to show the slippage on a task etc.

HTH,  Ben.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi Barbara

This is still not working for them. I've checked the permissions given to team leads and checked that these supervisors are in the team lead group. IOn the RBS, I've assigned them the level above team member (for each respective team) and all of their team are assigned at the team member level.

I'm out of ideas...any thoughts on where I can look/what I can do?

Shelleyb

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

sorry for delay, quite busy the past days.

What is not working exactly? Your team leads are now members of 'Team Lead' group. You added categories "My Resources" & "My Direct Reports" to this group. Did you assign permission for each category in for this group? Are necessary global permissions set for this group?

Just an example: Even if you allow "View Enterprise Resource Data" on category level but do not allow "View Resource Center" as Global Permission, a team lead will not be able to see his team members. Moreover, at least one resource view has to be added to the applied category.

If you gaive a more detailled description about your issue, we may be able to give you a better explanation.

Barbara

Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:51 AM