none
Resource - Budget Cost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have created a construction schedule. Created resource in the resource sheet as Budget. Applied this budget cost resource at the summary task level. Now when I baseline the schedule and want to track the actual cost wrt budget, I am unable to enter the actual costs. The Actual costs b are calculated by the project is ticked off in the options. Not able to see the Budget Cost vs Actual Cost against timeline. Required help in this matter.

Saturday, August 1, 2020 11:46 AM

Answers

• To those who may be following this thread,

Rohit sent me his file. The file did correctly have the budget values assigned to the Project Summary Task, it was even broken down into categorized budget items. However, there were no normal (non-budget) resources on the Resource Sheet and hence no resources to actually do the work, so, no actual costs. I suggested he create those resources and assign them appropriately to all performance tasks in the plan. Project will then either calculate actual costs based on progress, or actual costs can be manually entered. Only then would he be able to compare actual costs to budget.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:38 PM name
    • Marked as answer by rak77 Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:33 PM

All replies

• rak77,

Are you sure you set it up correctly? Here is a simple plan with a budget resource and 3 named resources.

Resource Sheet:

Task Usage view where budget resource is assigned to the Project Summary Task and named resources are assigned to each performance task. A baseline is set. The option for calculating actual costs is "off" (i.e. not automatically calculated by Project).

What part of this are you not seeing? Also, what version of Project are you using?

John

• Edited by John - Project Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:06 PM forgot baseline
    Saturday, August 1, 2020 4:58 PM
  • John,

Since the resource is Cost, budgeted they have been assigned at the project summary task from the task usage view. I am trying to track the actual cost against the budgeted.

Request share me your email address, will share the mpp file.

Regards,

Rohit

Monday, August 3, 2020 5:59 AM
  • Rohit,

Sure, send me your file. I will ask some questions.

John

jmacprojataticlouddotdotcom

(remove obvious redundancies)

Monday, August 3, 2020 1:42 PM
  • John, an email has been shared with the working file.

Rohit

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 4:44 AM
  • To those who may be following this thread,

Rohit sent me his file. The file did correctly have the budget values assigned to the Project Summary Task, it was even broken down into categorized budget items. However, there were no normal (non-budget) resources on the Resource Sheet and hence no resources to actually do the work, so, no actual costs. I suggested he create those resources and assign them appropriately to all performance tasks in the plan. Project will then either calculate actual costs based on progress, or actual costs can be manually entered. Only then would he be able to compare actual costs to budget.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:38 PM name
    • Marked as answer by rak77 Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:33 PM